Talk

Advanced search

Can someone explain OPK and temping?

(7 Posts)
stumblymonkey Fri 15-Jan-16 15:10:13

Hi,

I'm new on here, TTC but not really 'properly trying' this month however in the next month or two we might get more serious.

I've read a lot of posts about OPK and temping...can someone give me a brief explanation and what 'equipment' one needs?

Thanks!

ohidoliketobe Fri 15-Jan-16 15:17:40

OPK - ovulation prediction kit. A little stick that you dip in your pee like a pregnancy test (easier if you pee into something like a plastic cup than trying to get urine mid flow) it detects a hormone surge (can't remember which hormone sorry) which indicates when your possibly about to ovulate I. E. Release an egg and therefore prime time to have sex and get pregnant. Useful if like me you don't have an average 28 cycle and ovulate around day 14. I had a 32 day cycle and ovulated day 20-22.
DS (18 months) was conceived first month in used them. Currently 7 weeks preg with no 2 using them. grin
Bought a cheap batch jobby off eBay. About £5 for 50 with a view to using them every non- period day. Work best if you use them same time every day

stumblymonkey Fri 15-Jan-16 16:35:22

Thanks! If I don't get a BFP this month I'll buy some from Amazon for next month grin

ohidoliketobe Fri 15-Jan-16 17:55:33

You get a pregnancy test with some packs which is useful!

fuzzywuzzy Fri 15-Jan-16 18:03:28

Temping is taking your temperature with a basal body thermometer every morning, you make a record of your temperature, if you've got a smartphone fertility friends is really good, and it lets you know when you are most likely to have ovulated.

Drawbacks of temping you only know after you've ovulated that you did.

Works well in combination with opk's.

fuzzywuzzy Fri 15-Jan-16 18:04:53

You have to take your temperature pretty much at the same time in the morning and first thing when you wake.

Results get skewed if you've had a restless sleep if are unwell or had a very late night.

stumblymonkey Sat 16-Jan-16 08:38:28

Thanks everyone....if we don't fall pregnant in the first couple of months I'll get some OPKs X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now