Ovulation

(18 Posts)
Noleeen Wed 13-Jan-16 13:14:17

Hi all, I'm currently trying to conceive and bought a clearblue ovulation digital kit which also detects hormone levels. I'm starting to getting really confused when trying to work out what my ovulation days are. I thought if you had a 28 day cycle, you ovulate around day 14, ie 14 days after the first day of your period? Is this correct? My last two cycles have been 25 days. My last period started on 9th January and I was looking for some help on what date to first check for ovulation? I hope this makes sense and I'm not sounding too silly. Thanks smile

Katiekins90 Wed 13-Jan-16 13:24:38

Hi, ive downloaded the app called "ovia" I would really recommend it. It works out when you would ovulate once you put in your last period, cycle length etc. I've been using it two weeks and the information it's given me has been correct so far! X

KentCat Wed 13-Jan-16 13:55:54

hi

@katiekins90 I'm also using Ovia. Just so I'm clear the 6 days of fertility it marks is it the last day of that which it predicts to be your actual day of ovulation?

Thanks for any help, slowly getting my head around all the calculations

Katiekins90 Wed 13-Jan-16 14:08:23

Tbh I'm not to sure! I no there's the option add your ovulation day yourself but atm mines not saying what day they predict I will ovulate.
Sorry not helpful!

Bugmuncher Wed 13-Jan-16 14:40:08

noleen I'd start testing at the beginning of your fertile window so that you can find out when you're at high fertility and then the change to peak

Noleeen Wed 13-Jan-16 14:43:10

I've just downloaded that app and I am a little confused as well as it gives me the option to add my ovulation day. I thought the purpose was for it to give me a date. Confused

Iwonderif Wed 13-Jan-16 14:44:12

Hi OP. Your not silly at all. "They" use the 28 day rule as a general figure and then use the half way point as ovulation. 14 days. My cycles average out at 26 days. So if you tested 14 days after your last period chances are you'll have missed it as you may be ovulating earlier. I pee on OV sticks from about 6-7 days after my period has finished. That's the only way to work out when I ovulate. Plus I look out for all the other signs such as the correct cervical mucus and pain in my left or right side. Hope that helps and good look ttc. Remembering also that dtd before you ovulate as sperm can live pretty happily in there for about 5 days before the egg is released.

KentCat Wed 13-Jan-16 15:01:58

The add ovulation has only come in recently, I've been tracking my period on there for quite a while although we're only now TTC. My understanding is that if you're testing you can add a definite which it will then be able to use to be more accurate with all your data.

I haven't done tests yet, trying to stay quite relaxed for the first few months, we're off on honeymoon in March so thinking after that we'll become more serious with temps and stuff.

MrsSHolmes Wed 13-Jan-16 16:40:02

They say ovulation happens 14 days before your period. So your predicted ovulation would be day 11, then 5 days previous upto ovulation u have a chance of getting pregnant so day 7 i would get at it grin

Noleeen Wed 13-Jan-16 19:04:44

Thanks everyone. I have gotten so impatient with this TTC smile

BeccaBoo1 Thu 14-Jan-16 11:30:39

Hello ladies, we are TTC number 1, I promised myself I wouldn't get worked up about it but I am finding it taking over! I have been doing ovulation tests, only for the last 4 days, my cycle is 25 days, so on paper I should of been ovulating on Monday, but it was negative sad going by my period tracker (app on my phone) I should be ovulating tomorrow (friday) I tested this morning and still a negative ovulation test! I know I am being silly and letting my mind run away but I so want to see a positive ovulation, so then I know I am getting closer! All I can do is keep on testing and hope. Can't believe how emotional I am feeling when it is only our first proper month of trying! Talk about eine inpatient! angry
Sending luck and positive vibes to you all.

Iwonderif Thu 14-Jan-16 13:17:38

Hi Becca. Until you actually start tracking & monitoring you're blissfully unaware of how much it can take over.

We are not actively TTC (yet!) but have tracked seriously for about 6-8 months (I'm a mom of 3) purely as I wanted to see how accurate my body was at certain times of the month. The app I use called Clue is spot on with the OV sticks BUT there are months where even though Clue says I should be ovulating I don't. Frustrating I know and I can relate to your angst. Apparently some months we don't ovulate.

You'll get there. It's easy to say don't obsess but when you want that BFP you'll do anything to get there.

Next month you could be onto a winner! Fingers crossed. Look out for other ovulating signs such as pain in either one of your sides (near to where ovaries are positioned) and cervical mucus. All these subtle signs are often a big help. Some people rely on taking your temp too and keeping track.

Relax though and enjoy the sex!! That's the best part....winkgrin

Noleeen Fri 15-Jan-16 15:25:22

I have definitely become a little more obsessed than what I ever thought I would and I am starting to realise I dont have the same patience I used to have. It's reassuring to know we aren't alone smile

BeccaBoo1 Fri 15-Jan-16 22:47:14

Got a positive result from my ovulation test this morning! I was so relieved! Now just the waiting game.
It certainly is a big comfort to know we are not alone in feeling all these crazy emotions, reading other people's comments and questions has definitely made me feel better.
grin x

justtheonethen Fri 15-Jan-16 23:17:57

Came on to say what iwonder said! Basically your follicular phase (first part) can vary but luteal phase won't. I ovulate between cd 11 and 14.
I would start testing on day 9 if I were you. Also remember that the first day on CB will always give you not fertile as it needs a baseline to go from.

Noleeen Mon 18-Jan-16 21:11:56

Got this on my ovulation stick today, time to get busy, so fingers crossed smile

Iwonderif Mon 18-Jan-16 22:28:49

Enjoy! wink

KentCat Tue 19-Jan-16 15:55:28

Good luck Noleeen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now