Pregnancy tests with irregular periods

(4 Posts)
satsooma Sat 09-Jan-16 11:23:45

I am 30 and have always had irregular periods. I never bothered keeping track when I was younger, but I think my cycle varied between 35 and 70 days.

I came off the pill over three months ago and had a withdrawal bleed, followed by a 38 day cycle. I am currently 55 days into my second cycle with no bleeding at all. I did a pregnancy test just to be sure and it was negative.

We have just started TTC. But with such irregular cycles, I don't know how often to take a pregnancy test. I also worry that if I did get a positive test the doctors wouldn't have any information to go on about how many weeks pregnant I am.

Would it be crazy to bulk buy some tests online and just test once every week or two? I can't decide if this a simple solution or crazy-level overkill!

SinkyMalinks Sat 09-Jan-16 14:43:55

I have irregular periods with pcos (as in 2 periods a year..). My LH is always high so can't use ovulation predictor tests (always show positive) so I tend to test every couple of months/if I have vague symptoms.

Some people track their cycle by temping, so you can test when you know you've ovulated but I'm too lazy.

guidinglight Sun 10-Jan-16 10:28:35

I've considered this too as I am aware that conceiving could be a lengthy process (what with my irregular cycle and DP having ED). As a result I don't want to change my lifestyle too much, not that I do anything particularly outrageous.

I bought a pack of about 50 tests for less than £10 on Amazon and just use them whenever I want to double check. We haven't really got into the swing of TTC yet but once we do I will probably check weekly. I'm hoping that by doing it so regularly it won't become a moment of great anticipation as it'll just be something I do as part of the weekly routine (I hope that makes sense). If it gets too much I'll think again though.

Julieb85 Mon 11-Jan-16 16:30:45

I didn't have a period for over a year due to PCOS, I tested every few months but if I'm honest I knew I hadn't even ovulated. I can spot the signs a mile away!! ;-) my doctor used to do frequent blood tests to track my cycle for me based on hormone levels.

I was extremely luck (and surprised) to fall pregnant with DS and because of my cycle issues I was offered a dating scan as soon as I found out. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now