Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

fluoxetine whilst pregnant

(7 Posts)
wellyboots1 Thu 07-Jan-16 23:00:43

Hi, my partner and I are talking about ttc. I have been taking fluoxetine for depression and anxiety for the past 2 years. I have been gradually reducing the dose over the past 6 months and hope to come off them completely in the not too distant future. Is there anybody who could share their experiences with being pregnant whilst taking fluoxetine. My gp has advised that it is one if the 'safer' antidepressants to be taking whilst pregnant. I'd be very grateful for any of your thoughts and comments!

shoopshoopsong Thu 07-Jan-16 23:05:46

Hi I took it through the my pregnancy with DS, and my current one (am 28 weeks) for me the risks of coming off it outweighed any possible risks to the babies. I couldn't have coped without. DS perfectly fine so far.

shoopshoopsong Thu 07-Jan-16 23:07:40

Would advise if you do want to come off it to do it pre pregnancy, because you want to make sure you are fine without before having to deal with the extra hormones!

wellyboots1 Fri 08-Jan-16 07:47:10

Thanks shoopshoop for sharing your experience and thoughts smile

spaceyboo Fri 08-Jan-16 10:03:16

A colleague tried to kill herself after her midwife used emotional blackmail to get her to come off hers. If your GP says it's fine then keep taking it - safer for you & baby.

AmyC86 Sun 10-Jan-16 00:18:31

As a Psychiatric nurse, if you need it stay on it. The baby should be fine x also if your planning on breastfeeding get your g.p to transfer you onto paroxitine as it doesn't show up in your milk x plus it's still an SSRI so there isn't any/many changes in the way it works from the fluoxetine. I hope this helps!

firstgo1984 Sun 10-Jan-16 10:33:14

I find this website has the best information on it. The most important thing is you being well so if you need to stay on it, then please do.

www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/Medicine--pregnancy/Fluoxetine/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now