Talk

Advanced search

Shettles method for a girl... any success stories?

(23 Posts)
mumtosp Wed 30-Dec-15 14:16:15

Hi all,

DH and I want to try for DC #2 and would love to have a girl. I want to add that we really don't mind a boy and just think it would be nice to have a girl as we already have a 3 yo DS. I don't mean to offend anyone who is struggling to conceive smile

I am about to start ovulating tomorrow/day after and DH I were going to DTD then..... but then I came across the shettles method today and now I am thinking I should delay trying to get pregnant for another cycle as it's a bit to late for us to try the shettles method.... if I understand correctly, we need to DTD a couple of days before I ovulate.

So are there any success stories with the shettles method? Is it worth waiting for another month? Also, any other tips for a girl ?

TIA smile

TeaBreak1 Wed 30-Dec-15 14:30:46

Yes I have has sucess with this method twice and Yes for a girl you need to have sex a few days before ovulation as male sperm are faster than female sperm but die quicker, if I remember correctly roughly 3-4 days where as female sperm last upto around 7-8 days.

Whatsinaname2011 Wed 30-Dec-15 14:33:57

Had sex on day of ovulation the first 2 times and got 2 boys (wasn't trying to sway just wanted to get pregnant)

Had sex 3 days before ovulation 3rd time in "hope" of girl and am 6 months with number 3 boy now!!

TeaBreak1 Wed 30-Dec-15 14:43:30

I should have added that I was sucessful in getting pregnant with girls and I we didn't have sex between the 5th day before ovulation and 5 days after ovulation, hope that helps.

BessieBlount Wed 30-Dec-15 19:56:19

I think ovulation+12hours is now considered more accurate for girl conception but check gender dreaming or the other one whose name I can't remember. My understanding is that duet is now considered far more important than timing. Low salt, low caffeine, good old artificial sweeteners etc. oh and a supplement called virtex. Low amount of cervical mucous and you on top. Can't remember the rest. Test your vag ph. Mine was screaming boy sperm! The diet changed it to girl ph after about 3mths.
I had a girl after 3 boys btw.

mumtosp Thu 31-Dec-15 09:49:53

Hi all.... thanks for all your replies smile

BessieBlount thanks for the added details... I anyways don't have any caffeine... will now watch my salt intake too...
How do I test my ph ?! confused

BessieBlount Thu 31-Dec-15 10:06:28

Order some ph strips from Amazon. I think the swaying website say the ones you use for fish tanks are good. It doesn't matter what they're designed for as testing the ph of a liquid is the same process whatever that liquid is. I can't remember which ones I bought. They're just a little box of strips cost about £2 iirc.
Lots of women in the swaying websites swear by virtex too. It's just a dietary supplement you can get from amazon too. Good luck

mumtosp Thu 31-Dec-15 10:37:10

Thanks Bessie... will also look up virtex smile

BessieBlount Thu 31-Dec-15 11:01:41

Also something called replens which is like a lube but lowers ph. I think you want lower ph for girl so around 4.5 iirc. Mine was about 8 before the diet. Skipping breakfast lowers the ph as does low cal and artificial sweeteners. Not very healthy but works to lower ph.
I think the other website was called Ingender

kitkat2016 Thu 31-Dec-15 12:09:28

Hi all, I have 3 girls and each DTD a few days before ovulation - also ate LOTS of sweets which I had read may help - not sure though but it was nice anyway!

I am now longing for a boy after three gorgeous girls
Bessieblount you mentioned the supplement called virtex - is there a supplement which helps like this to help you conceive a boy?

BessieBlount Thu 31-Dec-15 12:27:34

Possibly but after 3 boys, I didn't much venture into the bit of the forum! grin
I think a higher ph favours boys as lower favours girls. Also diet high in salt and calories. I also think sex at ovulation and you having an orgasm helps as the sperm flow closer to the egg. The theory is that as the male sperm is a quicker swimmer but dies earlier then a short race favours them.

That's also the theory behind shettles suggesting sex 2 or 3 days before ov for women wanting a girl. The ov+12hour theory is that ph lowers dramatically at that time thus massively improving the chance of girl sperm as high ph kills off boy sperm.

BessieBlount Thu 31-Dec-15 12:29:09

Kitkat, check out the 2 websites I mentioned. It is apparently far easier to sway boy than girl. My understanding is that boy sways are far more successful on the whole.

kitkat2016 Thu 31-Dec-15 14:33:26

Ahw thanks so much BessieBlount that's really helpful - I'm so grateful.

So sorry to jump on your thread mumtosp but I just wondered if anyone would know about whether I've completely mistimed things for trying to conceive a boy:

So I DTD at 1am on 26th Dec and hadn't done an ovulation test before this but then I did an ovulation test at 9am on 27th Dec which tested positive and then I tested another ovulation test at 9am on 28th Dec which tested negative.

I'm very confused as to the whole ovulation testing and wondered whether the odds based on the shettles method would be more in favour of a girl than a boy given the timings isted above.

Any clarification or help on this would be so much appreciated.

Many thanks smile

mumtosp Thu 31-Dec-15 14:57:46

kitkat... I am no expert, but sounds like you DTD very close to your ovulation and based on what i have been reading online, that certainly increases your chances of a boy baby smile
All the best !

BessieBlount Thu 31-Dec-15 15:11:19

The ov kits pick up the surge which happens just before ovulation so it may be that you DTD just before ovulation. But it normally shows positive for 2dayd so if negative on the 2nd day then you were probably just before.

BessieBlount Thu 31-Dec-15 15:12:59

Just to be clear, ov kits show positive for about 48hourd before ov then negative. They are reading the hormone surge that happens just before ovulation rather than ovulation itself.

kitkat2016 Thu 31-Dec-15 15:37:30

Thanks so much for your replies BessieBlount and mumtosp - that's really helpful smile

So given that the ov kit shows positive for 48 hours before ovulation would that mean that the chances are more in favour of a girl as the shuttles method suggests in order to conceive a girl you best chances are 2 - 3 days before ovulation? So sorry but I'm really confused as to the exact timing and given what you've said about the kits it would imply the chances would be increased for a girl.

Any clarification would be much appreciated.

BessieBlount Thu 31-Dec-15 17:09:00

Yes you've understood right. I think on the sway forums it suggests sex second positive day +6hours or something similar. Having said that, I used ov kits for ds1&2. I wasn't bothered re the sex of the baby, I just wanted to get pg and DH worked away a lot. I had sex as soon as possible after a line appeared and got a boy both times. First time, DH was home and I had sex 5mins after the ov test showed positive so def before I actually ovulated and still got a boy.
However, when looking at swaying for a girl 4th time around, I tested my cm and it was very alkaline so very much in favour of boys. Which is why I think the forums now say diet is the most important factor.

mumtosp Fri 01-Jan-16 15:53:18

What do you all think about the chinese gender calendar method... Some people swear by it... But I don't think there is amy science behind it.
As per the calendar, I need to DTD between today and 9th Jan to get a girl.... But as per my cycle, I am ovulating today/tomorrow and that will increase my chances of a boy...

My mum sent me the Chinese calendar with a message saying I should DTD asap for a girl smile

kitkat2016 Fri 01-Jan-16 19:08:10

Thanks so much BessieBlount - that's really helpful.

I have read about ovulation tests but no where has it laid it out so clearly as you so thank you so much for that smile
Would DTD once be OK after the 2nd positive day + 6 hours or is it advisable to do more?

Re the chinese calendar mumtosp - for me when I conceived my 3DDs it said I should be having a DS so it didn't work for me but it just could be me! Good luck. Fingers crossed for you for DD and for me DS.

mumtosp Tue 05-Jan-16 15:37:20

I have the ClearBlue ovulation kits and it show 2 levels... high fertility and peak fertility... does peak fertility mean I am ovulating or that I am close to ovulating?! confused

Also, BessieBlount in order to test my CM ph, do I need to be doing this a few months in advance? I was planning on getting pregnant early Jan, but then decided to postpone it by a month to follow the shettles method.... given that I don't have that long anyways, should I not bother with the ph levels and just concentrate on the diet? Having said that, I don't know how much difference diet can make for the next 15 days smile

Thanks again everyone !

VestalVirgin Wed 06-Jan-16 18:30:55

I thiiiink that maybe shallow penetration, or no penetration at all could be the trick (if you have the patience).

They say girls sperms are hardier, so they would be able to swim longer, right?

Though I imagine that only the very hardiest of girls sperms manage that, so you'd have to wait a while. wink

I did read an account somewhere by someone who tried for a girl (but got boys) with the Shettles method five times, and then got a girl when they got interrupted in the act and there wasn't even an ejaculation.

Ovulation and ph levels may not be so influential when the sperm is catapulted right into the uterus, where living conditions are more beneficial to boy sperms.

(The study where they disproved the Shettles method didn't pay attention to penetration, and got a higher than average number of boys when trying for girls, so it seems to be important)

Good luck!

mumtosp Fri 29-Jan-16 16:12:41

Hi all... this post is going to be a bit TMI! Sorry in advance!!

the first day of my last period was 17th Jan.... various ovulation websites predict my ovulation date anywhere between 30th Jan to 1st Feb (based on 29 days cycle).... if I was to follow the shettles method, when should I stop DTD for a girl ?? Our plan was to DTD everyday this week... but with work hours and DS, we have only managed it twice sad should I try today evening once last time, or is that too close to ovulation day and hence increases chances of a boy?! very confused confused

TIA smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now