Talk

Advanced search

What would you do?

(10 Posts)
Mileymoocow Tue 29-Dec-15 11:00:15

So, we're trying for #1 and it's all very exciting but...

My brother is getting married in August next year and his fiancée has asked me to be bridesmaid. I don't want to let on that we're trying so as to not add any pressure so I said yes (or she'd have been suspicious as we're a close family). This week we have to go for dress measurements and I'm starting to feel guilty because there is no way in hell I'd be able to fit a bump under it should we get a BFP. Now I don't know what to do! Do I go along with it because there's every chance we won't fall pregnant or do I have to tell her? I suggested maybe waiting to my OH which is completely unreasonable, I know. He wasn't happy to say the least.

Just to make matters worse, her SIL (who is also a bridesmaid) has just announced she's pregnant but will be due in July. So at least they can keep extra material to her dress to allow for baby weight and fit nearer the time.

DontKillMyVibe Tue 29-Dec-15 11:03:48

I don't think there is any need to tell her about a hypothetical pregnancy. It's not as if she'll be able to do anything with that information anyway. You may get pregnant straight away or it may take a while so you should just carry on as normal in the meantime IMO

GailLondon Tue 29-Dec-15 11:04:47

Don't postpone ttc, you starting a family at the right time for you is far more important than a dress for someone's wedding! What's the worst that could happen? The bridesmaids dress can't be used and you have to buy a maternity dress in a matching colour. That's really not the end of the world and definitely not worth postponing ttc for.

DontKillMyVibe Tue 29-Dec-15 11:06:37

Agree, don't postpone ttc for the sake of a dress!

Mileymoocow Tue 29-Dec-15 11:07:30

Thanks guys, I know I'm a sucker for worrying about things. You are definitely right, I'd never be able to put off until then anyway. It's nice to know I'm not being selfish though grin

Luckystar1 Tue 29-Dec-15 11:14:52

My brother's fiancée asked me to be bridesmaid in Oct next year. She is choosing jersey material dresses in case either I, or one of the others get pregnant (she doesn't know I'm already pregnant and, all being well will have a 3 month old, so will look absolutely hideous in jersey fabric but such is life!).

Perhaps steer her towards those types? Do not postpone ttc, it took us 10 months and a mmc to conceive our eldest, that was not foreseen!

Good luck and enjoy!

IndomitabIe Tue 29-Dec-15 11:27:04

Is this the kind of thing wedding insurance might cover? The expense of needing another dress?

Might be worth doing some research...?

Mileymoocow Tue 29-Dec-15 12:32:47

I didn't even know there was such a thing as wedding insurance! Good idea.

She's already chosen the dresses and they're some sort of sheer fitted number which will look hideous, pregnant or not

Congratulations Lucky grin

Junosmum Tue 29-Dec-15 12:42:51

Subtly find out the cost of the dress and save up some money, so that you can offer to pay for the necessary alterations (should there be any). MOst dress makers will have experienced this sort of thing may times so I really really wouldn't worry.

Rememberallball Tue 29-Dec-15 13:04:55

If one SIL is already pregnant so having extra material saved for her expanding shape can you quietly ask the bride to be to purchase some extra fabric "Just in case"? If she looks at you sideways simply say, "No, we aren't expecting; however you never know what happens in life!" Offer to pay for the extra fabric so that, if it's not needed, she's not left out of pocket!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now