Talk

Advanced search

Low thyroid function?

(5 Posts)
RaeSkywalker Sun 27-Dec-15 20:07:35

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice.

I had blood tests done a couple of weeks ago for suspected Reynaud's syndrome. I called for the results last week- the receptionist I talked to said that all was normal, except for my thyroid function, which is 'low' (I'm still waiting for referral for further tests for Reynaud's). She said that the GP isn't concerned yet though. All well and good I thought.

... However, DH are planning to start ttc imminently. DH has consulted Dr Google about the thyroid issue and is now worried that this might affect any potential baby... Does anyone have any experience of this? Should I call the GP again and ask if DH and I ttc changes their level of concern?

Jibberjabberjooo Sun 27-Dec-15 20:23:20

It depends what your levels are, I would definitely find out (you're entitled to know). I'm hypothyroid and I'm on medication which has to be increased during the first trimester due to the baby. Your TSH ideally needs to be lower than 2-2.5. It may be that you're borderline. Quite often GPs don't take it seriously as long as you're within range. But being within range and the ideal range for conceiving are different things if they're concerned about your thyroid. If it helps I have two healthy children. Find out what your numbers are and what they're querying. Don't just take it from the receptionist.

There are NICE guidelines about thyroid and pregnancy which help to wave at the GP if you need to.

waitingimpatient Sun 27-Dec-15 20:27:32

I have what is called 'sub clinical hypothyroidism ' I also have anti thyroid antibodies

I take levothytoxine (75mg) daily and my clinic want TSH below 2.5
Mine was 4.48 then 2.4 back up to 4.4 then 1.7 then 0.80

Testing again next week as its so hard to control. It impacts on conception and early pregnancy though so important to keep in check

RaeSkywalker Sun 27-Dec-15 20:47:10

Thank you very much both. I think I will go into the surgery next week and ask to see the exact results. I am 100% clueless about this- it's taken me by surprise, so I'm thinking I'll also ask for the GP to call me to discuss. It's frustrating to have so little information to go off at the moment. We're probably worrying far too much because DH is imagining a worst case scenario. We definitely won't ttc until it's been clarified though.

Junosmum Sun 27-Dec-15 21:09:34

I'm hypothyroid and got myself really worked up about not being able to conceive etc, knew the guidance was for TSH to be below 2 but my Dr didn't agree and mine was nearly 5. I conceived first month of trying and midwife referred me straight to an endocrinologist so try not to worry too much. It's guidance, not law and everyones body is slightly different. It's one of many things to consider on the off chance that you have trouble conceiving.

FWIW, dr thought I had reynauds, turns out it was my thyroid!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now