Talk

Advanced search

can you get pregnant whilst having the coil in

(25 Posts)
BS33 Tue 15-Dec-15 18:32:20

I had the coil fitted in June, had a period in July I haven't had another one since then. But now I look 6 months pregnant and I'm feeling extremely sick, I feel sick every time I eat and even if I just smell food. Anyone else having the same

Raxacoricofallapatorius Tue 15-Dec-15 18:37:48

Is it a mirena?

No contraception is 100% safe. If there's a chance you are pregnant, you must see somebody as the risk of an ectopic is much higher.

Have you done a test?

Killairno Tue 15-Dec-15 18:40:37

As Raxa says, no contraception is 100% so you will need to take a test.

I have the copper coil and have periods regularly but I know that with Mirena, lots of people have no periods.

BS33 Tue 15-Dec-15 18:41:15

Not yet hubby is getting me one when he finishes work tonight

Yes. I did, last year.

Sorry, posted prematurely. Definitely take a test. If BFN, speak to a doctor, it may be that it's not working out for you.

BS33 Tue 15-Dec-15 18:45:53

This is the size of my belly I had lost 3 1/2 stone and now my belly has got back to this size again

Shemozzle Tue 15-Dec-15 18:54:08

Can you feel your wires?

BS33 Tue 15-Dec-15 18:57:10

Hubby checked them 2 days ago and yes he could feel them I have to get him to check as I can't find themself x

embarrasseddoesntcutit Tue 15-Dec-15 19:01:07

Gosh you do look bloated. If the test is negative then go to the GP, I suspect the coil isn't agreeing with you.

I have 2 friends who were conceived when their mum was on the copper coil.

BS33 Tue 15-Dec-15 19:03:59

So you think definitely do a test then, I'm so concerned as hubby doesn't want anymore kids, so if I found out I was pregnant it could potentially ruin my marriage coz he knows how much I disagree with abortions

Doublebubblebubble Tue 15-Dec-15 19:05:13

I had the mirena and had to have a hysteroscopy because it had moved (it was then replaced as they were doing it) definitely test and if bfn go to the Dr x

also (and this is according to my mother) my aunty got pregnant whilst using an iud (this was about 35 years ago so I'm sure it wouldn't be a mirena) the pregnancy didn't survive.

BS33 Tue 15-Dec-15 19:06:03

Bfn?

Killairno Tue 15-Dec-15 19:14:17

BFN = Big Fat Negative (on a pregnancy test).

If you are pregnant, with the coil, you will need to be referred to the hospital, I think, to check all is in the right place.

Hope that your husband is supportive either way. It takes 2 to make a baby and if you are having sex, you are risking conception even with contraception.

BS33 Tue 15-Dec-15 19:18:13

Ok lol, he doesn't see it like that he's a typical man it's got to be the woman's fault. I will do the test in the morning if he remembers to get one. Thank you xx

MigGril Tue 15-Dec-15 19:19:14

My friend's first baby was concived while on the coil. She had the coil removed at her first scan, baby is my elldest DDs best friend.

BS33 Tue 15-Dec-15 19:23:19

Oh right well when I have done the test I will post it thanks everyone xx

atticusclaw2 Tue 15-Dec-15 19:24:47

It is possible, it happened to my aunt with a copper coil. There is limited space in there though and so it is really important to see the doctor asap if you're pregnant. My aunts baby didn't survive.

Shakerlackerboomboom Tue 15-Dec-15 19:29:15

My friend (neighbour) has a cooper coil baby however other friend has copper coil and continuous bloating and water retention

StillaChocoholic Tue 15-Dec-15 20:10:16

There is higher risk of ectopic pregnancy with the coil so definitely do the pregnancy test and if you are pregnant get to the doctors as soon as you can. Good luck

Shakerlackerboomboom Wed 16-Dec-15 08:37:34

Any news OP?

Ifiwasabadger Wed 16-Dec-15 10:31:38

I have a copper coil and it's always been fantastic. I am now rather nervous reading this post though.

Any updates OP?

BS33 Fri 18-Dec-15 12:03:07

I did a test and it was negative, but I went to the doctor's as I'm still concerned and he is requesting a scan be done as he isn't happy. He said he believes I'm either pregnant or the coil has moved, but as soon as I've had the scan I will post my results x

Poin86 Fri 18-Dec-15 20:14:22

Good luck with your scan.xx

Itjusthappened Sun 20-Dec-15 22:04:42

Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now