Talk

Advanced search

Stopping the pill

(12 Posts)
Spikeythistle Mon 14-Dec-15 21:52:11

I've been on the pill for 12 years and stopped taking it last month as would like to TTC next year. I had a bleed at the end of the packet. My period has just started although is a lot lighter than it normally is and it has fallen bang on when it should have been due had I still been on the pill.
I thought it would take ages to come back so I am a bit surprised. I am a bit rubbish when it comes to my cycle as I have been on the pill for so long. What are other people's experiences of coming off the pill? Thanks

Junosmum Mon 14-Dec-15 22:22:29

Came off the pill, got straight in to a 28 day cycle. Was pregnant by second cycle, e.g I skipped my third period. It was our first month trying.

cnchapmanxx Mon 14-Dec-15 22:34:01

Hi spikey
I stopped my pill 12th Nov has a withdrawal bleed on 14th -17th and I've had nothing since. I'm now on cd31. Ov on the 28th-30th Nov due to test on 14th Dec have tested twice and both bfn. Hoping for AF on Wednesday or bfp to show any time after that!

Xx

Spikeythistle Tue 15-Dec-15 06:19:22

Sorry I'm new to all this. What does cd mean?

ChristmasTurkey2015 Tue 15-Dec-15 06:29:55

I stopped the pill, and got preg same month. I understand this happens to more women than might be expected (in first 3 months or so after stopping) as it triggers a temporary surge in "natural" hormones for some people. Was also a long term user and had been expecting it to take a year or so, so bit of a happy surprise.

Junosmum Tue 15-Dec-15 07:23:22

CD= count day. Where CD1 is the first day of your period. Most people ovulate between CD13 and 18.

DPO is another you might find useful- days past ovulation. You can get a BFP (big fat positive, on a pregnancy test) from 12ish days dpo though it can often take 15-20 dpo.

Some women take ages and ages to get in a cycle after stopping the pill, others like myself and Christmas don't!

shelbTa Wed 16-Dec-15 17:18:44

Hi spikes,

This is my experience and if anyone has any advice I'd really welcome it as my brain hurts from overanalysing!

I'm on CD30 first cycle off the pill after 10 years
Opk confirmed ovulation (hopefully) CD21-22 - Dtd as recommended etc
I'm now 8-9dpo and my symptoms are pretty bad nausea, peeing twice during night (never use to), waking up (feeling nauseous) and then awake all night, bloated, af type pains for a few days, yellowy type cm (sorry tmi).

Could just be being off the pill, couldn't it? Negative hgt today, also did an opk which shows a medium strength line but not positive.

Thanks anyone.

X

KatOnATinRo0f Fri 18-Dec-15 09:36:09

Hey.
I can off the pill aug 23rd ish... Was mid pack but I wanted to stop to get it out of my system. No withdrawal bleed, AF came 28 days later, lasted 2 days. (I hardly bled at all on pill, 2 days was the most really) then had a 27 day cycle, a 26 day cycle and the AF has just come today- I count 26 days but Ovia is telling me it's 27 days. Feeling a bit hmm as I'd heard all these stories of people getting preg the first month after and just kind of foolishly assumed I would too. But then I am kinda impatient!!

sophied1983 Sun 20-Dec-15 07:38:01

Took six weeks for my first AF to arrive and I've had quite long cycles since. Stopped taking it in May.

Bugmuncher Sun 20-Dec-15 09:56:16

spikey what pill were you on?

Flamingo88 Tue 22-Dec-15 17:14:49

Shelbta yes it could be symptoms of pregnancy, or it could be coming off the pill... Keep POAS to make sure!
I had terrible nausea/cramps/feeling low/tired/bloated on and off since stopping the pill in November, I'm not pg, but still not had AF and am on CD47 (on first cycle since stopping). Takes a while for things to settle down, I already feel my symptoms have eased a lot in the last week.

It's different for everyone, coming off the pill

Whyissheontheship Tue 22-Dec-15 17:46:38

Came off the pill in November and had a withdrawral AF on 1st Dec On cycle day 22 and still no signs of ovulation (I'm temping) feeling a bit disheartened sad

I took a pregnancy test as was feeling a few symptoms but it's negative.

Reassuring to hear others have had long cycles after stopping the pill. I can't remember my pre-pill cycles but I think they were around 30 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now