Talk

Advanced search

Doctor's appointment - what to say?!

(4 Posts)
PurpleBun Sun 13-Dec-15 14:21:09

Hi All,

OH & I have been TTC for 6 months and have our 1st appointment with my GP next Friday (18th). We decided to go now as I'm 36 (turning 37 next month) and starting to get a little concerned about fertility.

A friend mentioned to me the other day that, despite my age, a lot of doctors won't do any testing, referrals, etc. until you've been TTC for at least a year. Does anyone have experience of this?

So, basically, I don't know what to say to my GP or what kind of information he's going to want! What tests should I be pushing for?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks smile

Oysterbabe Sun 13-Dec-15 14:28:05

A lot of GPs will start testing at 6 months if you're over 35. He should arrange blood tests to see of you're ovulating and a sperm analysis for your husband.

PurpleBun Sun 13-Dec-15 22:03:17

Thanks Oyster, that's more than I knew this morning!

holidaysarenice Sun 13-Dec-15 22:22:16

It very much depends on the area.
Your dp may well need his own appt for a sperm test and not all gps will organise a sperm test.

He will likely check your bloods, a full blood count, thyroid and hormone profile. A day 21 progesterone can be useful.

Do you have regular periods and what kind of contraception you were using are important to. Otherwise probably just some advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now