Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

OH has been told he needs to repeat his spern analysis for the second time now. Something is wrong isn't it?

(10 Posts)
SharyBobbins Thu 10-Dec-15 16:57:12

Please help me if you can! OH did a SA for our local hospital. His GP got in touch to say it would need to be repeated but couldn't say why. Since then we've been referred to another hospital (the local hospital weren't taking gynae referrals so we were both referred elsewhere). They also wanted a SA (we were still waiting on the results of the first). They've just sent a letter asking us to make contact as they need to repeat the sample. So both samples he's provided have needed to be repeated. There must be a problem mustn't there? Has anyone's OH's been in this situation and it turned out okay? I can't stop crying & OH is away sad

SharyBobbins Thu 10-Dec-15 16:58:40

Sperm not spern! Can't see through tears!!!

Jemimapuddleduk Thu 10-Dec-15 17:04:16

Don't panic! My Dh had lots of sperm analyses as part of our testing for infertility. The time between sample being taken and being analysed can make a big difference. My dh's results weren't great - poor morphology if I remember. We still managed to get pregnant (we had IUI in the end for our first successful pregnancy). We also conceived naturally after that too. There are many fairly easy things you can do to improve count and morphology- cut down caffeine, booze and get on a good range of multivitamin and antioxidants (my husband took pine bark extract and this really improved morphology). Good luck with it all, I know how tough the journey is.

Whatdoidohelp Thu 10-Dec-15 17:13:02

There likely is an issue but don't panic. Many things can be done to help sperm and if it is the worst case scenario ICSI is incredibly good.

It's poor of your GP to not tell you the issue though. I would demand to know.

SharyBobbins Thu 10-Dec-15 18:01:39

Thank you both, a unhelpful nurse at the doctors said (when OH questioned it) "sometimes there's just not enough to test" angry I'm just sad because I've accepted there is an issue with my fertility (irregular cycles etc.) but it breaks my heart to think there's an issue with him too. I don't want him to feel as low & frustrated as I do sad

OwlinaTree Thu 10-Dec-15 19:09:04

So sorry to hear this. Did your dh provide the sample at home and take it in or did he do it at the clinic? I wonder if that could make a difference?

Thinking of you.

TwinkleStars15 Thu 10-Dec-15 21:56:33

It probably does indicate a problem, but like Whatdoidolike said, don't panic. This happened to us and it was because DH has no sperm. It's really bad that your GP hasn't told you why - I'd be calling them straight back and demanding answers. It's your OH's right to know about his own health!
If it does turn out to be azoospermia (no sperm) please pm me because I've been through it so would like to help if I can.
Good luck xx

Lauraqc Thu 10-Dec-15 22:03:58

Hello,

Difficult - you can only deal with it once you know the answer. I've also got irregular cycles and my DH has a very low count (too few to test morphology etc) and we're about to start ICSI in Jan after 2.5 years of trying. It's shit. But once you've got the facts you can talk and take next steps x

SharyBobbins Thu 10-Dec-15 22:22:25

Thanks everyone you're all really kind. Don't feel like I can talk to anyone in RL about it! Dreading telling OH about the letter tomorrow, I know he's going to think the worst too.

Owlina- both times from home, the thought of doing it in the clinic was a step to far for him but I might suggest that when he dies his sample again.

Twinkle- thank you, I'll definatly PM you if we find out that's the problem.

Good luck for January Laura

Tatie3 Thu 10-Dec-15 22:26:05

It could be something as simple as the lab not getting the sample tested within the recommended time frame (I think it used be within 2 hours of the sample being collected). Good luck OP i Hooe it all works out for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now