Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Vitamins/folic acid and TTC

(4 Posts)
MeadowHay Wed 09-Dec-15 11:06:45

Hi! Me and DH are planning to start ttc imminently. I currently take a multivitamin every day, but I don't think it has folic acid in it, which I know you are supposed to take when ttc and during pregnancy.
The ingrediants are: Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B8, B9, B12, C, D3 et E (α-TE). Minerals: Calcium, chromium, iron, zinc, selenium, manganese, molybdenum, and copper. Is this safe to continue taking? Do I need to take folic acid on top, or switch to something completely different?

dementedpixie Wed 09-Dec-15 11:15:27

You're supposed to avoid taking vitamins with vitamin A in during pregnancy so I would change to a pregnancy one. A pregnancy one will probably have folic acid in it too

moggle Wed 09-Dec-15 11:15:47

You might want to switch to a conception or pregnancy vitamin - just because they don't contain vitamin A as you don't want to have too much of that while pregnant. But if you don't eat lots of vit A containing food (google them sorry the only one I know is liver!) then you should be fine just to switch once you get pregnant.
Definitely take folic acid from now. The folic acid only pills are really cheap - what I would do is buy a pack and take alongside your current multivitamins, then when that pack runs out move to conception/preg vitamins. They will include folic acid but you could also continue taking the leftover folic acid pills until you finish those.
Also you don't have to buy the expensive pregnacare vitamins. Boots and superdrug do their own brand of conception/preg vitamins. If money's tight for whatever reason the most important thing is the folic acid.

MeadowHay Wed 09-Dec-15 14:51:54

I am currently living in France (temporarily), and vitamin supplements seem much more expensive here than in the UK. Usually back at home I always took the cheapest one from Boots!

Thanks for the advice. Will look for separate folic acid tablets and also some special pregnancy multivitamins. I didn't know that about vitamin A. I am vegetarian, I don't know if that makes a difference, although I'm positive I'm not iron deficient as I was tested fairly recently. It is likely to take awhile for me to conceive anyway because I have been on depo-provera injections, it is supposed to run out the middle of this month, and I know for a lot of people it has taken them ages to conceive after. But fingers crossed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now