Talk

Advanced search

want to ttc a second but BF

(10 Posts)
artisanroast Sun 06-Dec-15 00:46:00

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of this?

My DD is 11 weeks. I had a very easy pregnancy - no nausea, few aches and pains etc. My only real symptom was tiredness.

I did labour early at 35 + 5 but had an easy labour (6 hours) easy birth and a healthy baby girl who weighed 5lb 8oz. I'm happy with that as my bump was tiny! Most people seemed to think she would weigh that at term.

I am 33 on Tuesday and it took us 2 years to conceive my little girl. I am aware of the possible complications after 35 so want to minimise my risk of these.

I want to ttc straight away - financially it is better I go back FT to get full mat leave again etc. I don't want to be away from my baby too long so ideally I would want to go back to work pregnant.

I am BF my baby which I know is nature's post natal contraception - 98% my GP said!

Anyway has anyone on here become pregnant whilst bfing?

How long did it take you to conceive after your first baby if you BF?

Thanks

Writerwannabe83 Sun 06-Dec-15 08:34:58

My mom conceived me whilst she was exclusively breast feeding my 3 month old sister.....

Good luck!!!

I'm BF my son (only four times a day as he's 22 months) and me and DH are thinking of TTC number 2 in the new year and it does cross my mind if BF will be an issue.

I may be wrong but I think there is a huge thread in this forum somewhere where BF'ing mothers are sharing their experiences of TTC whilst BF.

Oysterbabe Sun 06-Dec-15 09:09:40

There is a thread on conception on this.
I think you're worrying a little unnecessarily re the age thing BTW. Despite what the daily mail would have you believe, your ovaries won't fall out aged 35.

Oysterbabe Sun 06-Dec-15 09:13:45

Here it is.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/2428788-TTC-and-still-breastfeeding-Thread-5-Positive-Vibes

JulesJules Sun 06-Dec-15 09:14:41

I became pg whilst bf, that 98% thing is rubbish. You can become pg as soon as you start ovulating again.

Don't worry too much about the age either

artisanroast Sun 06-Dec-15 09:17:58

fab! thanks ladies

whatsagoodusername Sun 06-Dec-15 09:21:28

My DC are one year and three weeks apart.

The BF as birth control is nonsense.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 06-Dec-15 09:23:58

I have a 1 and a 2 year old and a 3 week old. Breast feeding is not a contraceptive. I'm dubious it even suppresses fertility. And I exclusively breast fed before anyone accuses me of giving formula top ups! grin

MummyBex1985 Sun 06-Dec-15 11:27:49

My AF didn't return for ten months whilst EBF so I would say it does act as a contraceptive. However if you top up with formula, or reduce the number of feeds per day, it's more likely your fertility will increase.

I think that BF doesn't eliminate the risk of PG entirely (the hospital will discuss contraception with you before discharging you) but it does at least reduce the chances. I would start straight away, chances are that after the weaning stage you won't BF as much anyway so your fertility may increase from that point on.

artisanroast Sun 06-Dec-15 18:56:33

It's great to hear some success stories about having babies close together. Next plan is for DH and I to step it up a gear! Haha!!! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now