Talk

Advanced search

TTC after depo - should I go on the pill first?

(12 Posts)
MeadowHay Tue 01-Dec-15 10:36:26

Hello, we are thinking of starting ttc in January. My depo shot runs out mid-december, I know that most people find there is a delay in fertility returning after it. I have seen a few people say they went on the pill after depo to 'kick start' their periods and things, is this something I should do or should I not bother? Does it actually make a difference? Experiences welcome. smile

RoganJosh Tue 01-Dec-15 10:44:27

I've read that it can take longer if you've been on the injection for longer - how long have you been on it? I was on it for nine years and it took two for my periods (and presumably ovulation) to come back.
Sorry, haven't actually answered your question.

MamaDuckling Tue 01-Dec-15 10:47:33

How long have you been on the depo?

My periods took 9 months to return after I came off it. Spotting in between, and I wasn't TTC but just a heads up that you might be some time getting back to normal.

I can't see why you'd put more hormones in your body if you wanted to start TTC. Not sure I believe the fertility 'spike' people talk about after coming off the pill... Is it proven?

Either way, you've been on Depo and need to get back into your normal, not start taking another contraceptive (in my opinion anyway!)

MamaDuckling Tue 01-Dec-15 10:48:02

I was also on it for a long time, 6 yrs. looks like PP took a while to get back to normal too.

Wishful80smontage Tue 01-Dec-15 10:49:21

I'm not sure about the pill side of things but I was on the depo for 3 years and then pregnant within 2 months of it finishing with dd and then back on it again for 2 years after I came off it again it took 3-4 months to get pregnant with ds.

Wishful80smontage Tue 01-Dec-15 10:51:07

But to add when I came of it for a second time- the time between my periods ranged from 28 to 34 days and sometimes lasted 3 days sometimes 7 so my periods never got back to normal before I got pregnant the second time.

MeadowHay Tue 01-Dec-15 11:07:06

I have been on depo for...maybe just about 2 years I think. Not very long. Before that I was on the pill for about three years.

Mama I am sceptical too about the claims that the pill does anything, have not seen any research about it but haven't looked into it too much. I have seen people online say it so was wondering if there was anyone about who had done it or been recommended to do so by a doctor.

Vap0 Tue 01-Dec-15 11:28:31

I wouldn't take any more hormonal contraception if I was you. The pill can mess you up too. Sorry to give you a bad story but it's taken me 27 months to conceive after depo wearing off. I was on it for about 10 years though. Hope yours wears off quicker!

MamaDuckling Tue 01-Dec-15 12:41:50

I think the best thing you could do is come off it and see what happens. DTD every few days...

Once you've had your first period you could start ovulation tests.

But going on the pill would surely prolong the return of natural fertility.

PotteringAlong Tue 01-Dec-15 12:43:19

I was on it for 4 years, pregnant 7 weeks later before my periods restarted. On for another year and periods restarted after 4 months, back on for another year and periods restarted after 3 months.

beckslovestimmy Tue 01-Dec-15 13:07:30

Took me nearly 2years of TTC after DEPO before getting pregnant. I did go on the pill for a few months after but it obviously didn't help. Second time around I had the coil and conceived 3 cycles after having it removed. So I think it was the depo that affected my fertility first time around.

Sunnydays321 Tue 01-Dec-15 20:03:56

I haven't had depo but have been on pill for years. I came off pill a few years ago and took 10 months to get period. This time I came off pill beginning of July. One had 1 period since. So don't think pill is necessarily better. Although I see what you mean as in you take it for month and then when stop you will get withdrawal bleed, but that doesn't mean you will start having normal periods after this. Sorry X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now