Talk

Advanced search

Alcohol whilst ttc

(13 Posts)
Abella Thu 26-Nov-15 23:16:15

Hi should you completly stop drinking whilst ttc?

PurpleDaisies Thu 26-Nov-15 23:25:10

I think most people just drink sensibly rather than cut it out completely. There are definitely some people for whom being very drunk is an advantage in getting pregnant!

Junosmum Thu 26-Nov-15 23:29:42

No, keep within recommended limits and you'll be fine. It could take months to conceive, if you like to drink it could get very tedious!

simplydivine05 Sat 28-Nov-15 13:15:31

I did at first but after 5 cycles it got a bit dull so have started to have the odd one but kept it within moderation and have not got drunk. Some days I've just really needed that glass of wine!

SweepTheHalls Sat 28-Nov-15 13:17:04

No, the 2 and a half years it took us would have been even tougher without the occasional drink.

Abella Sat 28-Nov-15 13:37:27

Tell me about it! Did you manage in the end?x

Vap0 Sat 28-Nov-15 14:04:39

Don't torture yourself abella

Coming from someone who has spent the last 27 months waiting for that bfp I think I would have gone stark raving mad if I hadn't drank for that long not to mention ostracised by all my friends. Don't get me wrong, I did the whole not drinking, eating well, exercising but not too much frequently but it didn't help.

I decided a long time ago that I would continue life as usual until I get my bfp and am a frer early tester so knew I'd know very early on.

We did have a bfp back in Aug which sadly ended in a mc and of course I cursed myself for drinking before it and everything else from "lifting that box" "cleaning the bathroom" "sitting in the car too long" "being too active" "not being active enough" etc etc etc in very early pregnancy even though I didn't drink much or often in the week before I found out.

So I then decided that with this "apparent" increased fertility in the following month, (all total lies, or at least for me anyway) I wouldn't drink for a while. After af arrived and no bfp I decided to stop torturing myself. Especially as every time I refused a drink people were asking me if I was pregnant or quietly looking me up and down settling on my tummy making their own decisions whether I was pregnant or not which was not what anyone needs after a mc. I was in a very dark place and taking myself away from every social occasion to avoid people's reactions made it even worse.

I have luckily now had another bfp 2 weeks ago and admit I did drink for a few days before I had my very early positive at 3w2d. I don't feel bad about this at all this time, even though another mc has threatened but is clinging on, hopefully. So long as you stop as soon as you get your bfp you'll be fine as the baby doesn't take anything from you until the placenta takes hold until about week 5-6 as it survives from the egg sac. My gp even told me when I saw her last that it's ok to have a drink occasionally when pregnant. I won't but it's what she said. I also have a friend who missed her 1st trimester as didn't know she was pregnant and had been drinking heavily for all of the 12 weeks and she still has a healthy baby.

Wow, sorry for the essay.

Good luck achieving that bfp flowers

Abella Sat 28-Nov-15 14:19:18

Vap09 What a horrible time you have had and amazing persistence. You will have this baby and I felt goosebumps when you said at the end that your pregnant! Xx

BathtimeFunkster Sat 28-Nov-15 14:21:37

I never acted as though I was pregnant until after the BFP.

SweepTheHalls Sat 28-Nov-15 15:59:53

Week 35 now after giving in and coming to the conclusion that we would not be having DC3 (1 and 2 were conceived with no problems). Having pretty much stopped trying we finally fell at Easter and the bump is due at New Year grin

IrisPurple1 Sat 28-Nov-15 16:28:04

Well I abstained completely (even during our honeymoon) for the first two cycles. Decided that a total ban on alcohol made TTC too much of a big thing in my mind, so I started drinking again, and look and behold, I fell pregnant that month.

Sadly mine too ended in an MC, but I know it was nothing to do with alcohol. I drank about 5-6 units a week for the 3 weeks before I tested. I know of many people who got absolutely wasted before they found out they were pregnant.

You just do whatever feels right for you.

SeriousStuff Sun 29-Nov-15 01:21:09

With DC1, I just carried on as normal with food/drink/exercise, because changing all that would've just stressed me out and made the whole process a bit fake. Got my BFP in the first cycle. On my first cycle for DC2 at the moment and am taking the same approach...hoping it works again!

Good luck!

Peyia Sun 29-Nov-15 09:09:22

Both babies were conceived with the help of vino. Not advocating getting blind drunk but if you do enjoy a drink then have fun whilst trying! As soon as you get pregnant you'll be abstaining for a loooooog time!

The body is a funny thing too. Several days before testing I turned my nose up at wine, I couldn't drink it. Think that was me subliminally knowing I couldn't drink anymore.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now