Talk

Advanced search

Likelihood of false positive?

(12 Posts)
MetalMidget Wed 25-Nov-15 13:37:11

Hello everyone, first post here (please be gentle ;))!

My husband and I have been trying for a baby for nearly two years. A few months ago we decided to get looked at, and have had all of our initial fertility investigations done - turns out I have PCOS and hypothyroidism (which goes some way to explaining numerous things, not least the weight gain since coming off the pill...)

Anyway, we're due to see the consultant tomorrow to talk about Clomid... but this morning I did a test and it came back with a distinct line, albeit not as dark as the control line. So I've just done a Clearblue one, and it says I'm 2-3 weeks pregnant.

Before I get too excited, what's the chance of metformin or levothyroxine affecting the results? They don't seem to be on the list of medications that can cause false positives, but I'm paranoid.

I'm also aware that this is quite a ridiculous post given that I'm seeing a fertility consultant tomorrow, but I'm also impatient!

DinoSnores Wed 25-Nov-15 13:48:28

"what's the chance of metformin or levothyroxine affecting the results?"

None. grin Congratulations!

See your consultant tomorrow and ask about your thyroxine dose. Normally it needs to go up in pregnancy, so that needs monitored

Jibberjabberjooo Wed 25-Nov-15 13:57:23

None, I'm hypothyroid. Make sure your TSH is below 2, generally the dose is increased in the first trimester 25-50% to compensate for the baby, get levels checked every trimester. I saw an endocrinologist during pregnancy and have two healthy dc.

congratulations!

Jibberjabberjooo Wed 25-Nov-15 14:00:23

cks.nice.org.uk/hypothyroidism#!scenario:3

Nice guidelines, incase you have trouble with the GP. Worth a read.

MetalMidget Wed 25-Nov-15 14:04:24

Oh crikey, best learn how to be in adult over the next nine months! :D

MetalMidget Wed 25-Nov-15 14:04:46

And thanks for the advice/link about hypothyroidism!

Junosmum Wed 25-Nov-15 17:24:30

I'm hypothyroid and if levothyroxine causes false positives then I have no idea what this mahoosive tummy is all about! Congratulations.

GorillaWar Wed 25-Nov-15 17:29:40

Congratulations!!

SweetAdeline Wed 25-Nov-15 17:33:20

Metformin can be great for PCOS and doesn't cause false positives. Congratulations flowers

sparechange Wed 25-Nov-15 17:33:47

Well you know the link between hypothyroidism and lack of implantation..!

Looks like your levothyroxine has done its thing.

Congrats flowers

MetalMidget Wed 25-Nov-15 17:43:58

Thanks everyone! Absolutely chuffed that a couple of months on meds have obviously made me start ovulating, and also that everything is seemingly ok with t'husband's swimmers (he had the test a few weeks back, not had the results back!) Fingers crossed it all goes ok from here, as it's early days yet!

Peyia Wed 25-Nov-15 18:47:06

Awww congratulations!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now