pregnancy & 20mg nortrypyiline

(10 Posts)
kt01 Wed 25-Nov-15 08:35:05

Hi there I'm new to this site & couldn't find a suitable place to post so I gathered it would be ok to post here, my issue is I want to TTC & so does my partner but I live with pain due to spinal nerve roots being compressed in my neck I also have osteoarthritis & slipped disks my Dr prescribed nortrypyiline 20mg a night for nerve pain I just wondered if anyone had had any experiences of taking nortrypyiline when expecting? & has there been any complications as a result & did the child get any withdrawal symptoms. I couldn't bear it if my child had to go through that.iv tried all sorts of medication for pain & this one seems to have the least side effects Iv done a bit of research myself I suppose I just wanted to hear real life stories, I desperately want another child as I expect it would be my last, thanks for reading this post I'd really appreciate any input thank you kind regards Katie😊

AnotherEmma Thu 03-Dec-15 20:43:55

Hi Katie,

I haven't been pregnant before so I can't share any experience with you, but I am TTC and like you I'm taking Nortriptyline (the same dose, 20mg/day) for a chronic pain condition. I've been trying to find out whether it's safe to take during pregnancy and I believe it's one of the safer anti-depressants. It's a tricyclic antidepressant and it's very similar to Amitriptyline, which has been around a long time and is known to be one of the safest. I found some articles so I'll post the links on here (after I've finished writing this post, don't want to lose it!)

My advice to you would be to talk to your pain consultant (if you have one?) or if not, your GP. You could also go to a large chemist and make an appointment to see the pharmacist - apparently they are more up-to-date with the risks and side effects of various drugs.

As for me, my pain condition affects my ability to have sex and I don't really want to stop taking Nortriptyline before I get pregnant. After talking to my GP, I decided to continue taking 20mg/day until I get pregnant, and then when I get a positive test I will come off it gradually (I'll probably cut down to 10mg for a week or so, depending on withdrawal symptoms). Obviously if my pain increases too much I will talk to my doctor again to see what they advise. It might be OK to keep taking it if I need to.

Hope that helps... I will dig out those links now!

AnotherEmma Thu 03-Dec-15 20:46:31

Antidepressants in pregnancy (Mind)

Antidepressants: safe during pregnancy? (Mayo Clinic)

kt01 Thu 03-Dec-15 21:10:27

Thank you Emma I'm taking 15 mg atm & im waiting for cervical spine injections I'm hoping that if I get good results I can stop taking them thanks for the links I think Il talk to my gp about this and speak to my partner about maybe TTC in the new year 😊

AnotherEmma Thu 03-Dec-15 21:18:50

Ah that's exciting! The New Year is a good time to start trying. Realistically I think that's when we will start properly, because I've worked out that next time I'm ovulating we'll be with family for Christmas, so we're not exactly going to have lots of sex then!!

Anyway, good luck with the spine injections and talking to your GP about it - let me know how you get on.

How old is your DD btw?

kt01 Fri 04-Dec-15 11:19:42

I will thanks Emma hope you have a lovely xmas and new year all the best Katie 😊

kt01 Fri 04-Dec-15 11:29:04

I have three children my eldest daughter is 14 my son will be 13 in January and the baby girl is 2. Iv had spine problems since I was 15 a large piece of metal felt on me from a building but only the last three years iv had issues with my neck which is the main cause of pain . On my 2 year old I got by by taking Co codamol & regular reflexology, but I now have debilitating arm & shoulder pain & worry about having to convince my partner that getting pregnant is a good idea he would love another but I don't think he would condone taking any med's. I have also had pid twice an infection of the pelvis & worry that I won't be able to concieve which makes me want a child more. What's your problem? Can it be fixed ? 😊

AnotherEmma Sat 05-Dec-15 10:34:39

Sorry to hear about your health problems Katie. I hope your doctor will be able to advise you about meds - if they say it's safe to take them your partner should be ok with that surely?

My problem is vulvodynia (vulval pain) and I've had it for years. It can't really be fixed but it can be managed - I've had women's health physio which helps. Stress makes it worse! Apparently it can sometimes get better after childbirth - but I'm guessing that's only if the birth goes relatively smoothly with no tears confused We shall see!

Good luck to you and have a lovely Christmas! fsmile

kt01 Mon 07-Dec-15 20:48:33

Yes I know chronic pain is a nightmare especially when you are so independent and strong minded as it grinds you down wanting to do things you can no longer do. Iv weaned myself down to 15 mg a few nights ago then I tried taking 10 mg but felt awful & couldn't sleep so took another 5mg I slept well then since reducing my pain level is high I had to take my oramorph Dr prescribed when needed I hate taking it but needs must today I just hope I have my cervical spine injections before Xmas I'm so nervous. Well have a lovely xmas too kind regards Katie 🎄🎀🎁

AnotherEmma Tue 09-Feb-16 10:23:35

Hi kt, long time no speak - I was just wondering how you are? How's your pain and have you started TTC yet?

I've just started reducing my dose of Nortriptyline to see if it makes any difference to my pain. I'm aiming to gradually go from 20mg to 10mg if I can.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now