Talk

Advanced search

Starting to TTC next year - should I do anything now?

(10 Posts)
neonrainbow Fri 20-Nov-15 21:29:44

My husband and I are looking to start TTC our first baby next year around April time - what should I be doing now, if anything? Should I book in with my GP before I TTC? If so what are they likely to do? Will they think Im odd for going to my GP before Im even pregnant? When should I start taking folic acid? I have found quite a bit of conflicting advice on this online.

SeriousStuff Fri 20-Nov-15 21:38:04

You don't need to go to the GP unless you're on ongoing medication that may affect you TTC or the health of your baby, or if you have an ongoing health condition which may be further affected by pregnancy/birth or the health of your baby e.g. I was on anti depressants so wanted to discuss whether I should come off them or not.

I would say just chill. Stress doesn't help conception so don't work yourself up too much about it. You should start taking folic acid (400mg a day) now, so you're sure there's some in your system when you conceive and carry on taking it throughout pregnancy. It can prevent neural tube defects in your baby. Your DH can start taking it too - my DH took it while we were TTC DC1.

Being generally healthy and fit can only help too x

29redshoes Fri 20-Nov-15 21:45:38

You should start taking folic acid now so it's in your system. I think the advice is to take it 2-3 months before TTC, but it doesn't do you any harm to take it for longer than this.

The other supplement recommended by the NHS is vitamin D.

You could take pregnacare instead which contains both folic acid and vitamin D, plus lots of other things. It's expensive though, and I've found the pills are huge and hard to swallow (but maybe that's just me!)

I've never known anyone IRL who made a GP appointment before TTC, but I've read on several websites (including this one) that you should. I'm not 100% sure what they'd do, and I honestly think my GP would be a bit baffled by this, unless there was some relevant medical history or something. But I'll be interested to see views from others, perhaps it's more common than I realise.

Junosmum Fri 20-Nov-15 21:49:38

Get in the best health you can but don't give up things you enjoy such as wine and chocolate! Loose any excess weight so you are a healthy BMI. Do things you won't be able to do with a baby (climb Everest, go clubbing etc) and enjoy it being the two of you. You may choose to come off hormonal contraception, personally I didn't and got pregnant straight away but some people take a while to get in to a rhythm.

About 3 months before you start trying start taking folic acid and vit d and start tracking your cycles, your cervical mucus etc.

And most importantly, relax and enjoy the trying!

Junosmum Fri 20-Nov-15 21:50:26

And no to the gp appointment unless you have another health issue.

Vap0 Fri 20-Nov-15 22:17:26

Hi

I wouldn't bother with the gp. I went this week after having a bfp and felt a little silly as I just needed a but of handholding.

Folic acid ASAP as you will get into the habit of taking it and there are very few problems that can arise from taking it.

Stop any contraception now apart from condoms.
Stop the coil, implant, pill, injection or anything else. They can take a long time to wear off. You will hear of people who get pregnant day one of having them removed or stopped taking them but there are lots of ladies who really struggle to get cycles back to normal. I'm one of them unfortunately, 27 months ttc and it has been hell on earth thanks to the depo.

Ovulation predictor strips is a good one to see if you are actually ovulating.

Bbt is another good idea to track cycles before starting and will confirm ov with your opk's. Quite handy too as most ladies will notice a dip the day before af is due which i found handy.

I wish I had asked about these things when I started ttc as it would have armed me with more information to take to the dr's.

SeriousStuff Fri 20-Nov-15 23:23:42

Oh Juno, that's the best advice - go to the cinema on a whim, savour every lie-in, go for a boozy lunch on a Saturday and stay out until late, go away for a long weekend (again, spontaneously), look at all the lovely, stain free clothes you own, do the same with your immaculate make-up bottles/lipsticks/nail varnishes, say 'yes' to everything, especially meet-ups with friends, book as many wax appointments as you can (I haven't had a wax in nearly 3 year sand I used to go nearly once a month), enjoy your hangovers, because hangovers with a baby is something else!...I love being a mum but my good gosh, do I miss these things! You can obviously still have a social life without them, it just means planning...

Polgara25 Fri 20-Nov-15 23:25:05

Bloody hell - we're starting to TTC now and I haven't thought of any of this...

Just thought you came off the pill and that was it!

zaza86 Sat 21-Nov-15 09:46:56

My GP said it was important to get your immunity to rubella checked (simple blood test). Even if you had the jab when younger, it may not have taken - rubella is lethal to a foetus (though I'm guessing the likelihood of contracting it is pretty low...?)

neonrainbow Mon 23-Nov-15 20:46:10

Thanks for your input everyone - Im not on any hormonal contraception or any medication so it sounds like I'd be wasting the GP's time but maybe a Rubella test would be a good idea.

To be honest Im not really sure Im 100% ready but then again not sure when I will be. I guess at some point you've got to bite the bullet and just do it. I am making the most of my remaining childfree months although as I have a stepson we aren't child free at the moment but it will definitely be different having my own as I will be 50% responsible for everything whereas at the moment I am about 5% responsible for everything!

So folic acid and vitamin D from now then and I do need to lose a few lbs -only a size 14 so while not huge I am technically overweight it cant hurt to try and shift a stone or so ... only to put it back on and then some when I get pregnant! :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now