Talk

Advanced search

Iron tablets and ttc

(7 Posts)
londonrach Thu 19-Nov-15 10:11:53

Hi. Ive been ttc since feb this year (sob). Years ago the gp put me on iron tablets (heavy periods) and at his recommendation i am still on them. Now im trying to go through the whole of my diet and and lifestyle to get pregnant and its just hit me that can iron tablets stop you getting pregnant. Theres limited information on dr goggle about this and i did mention it to my gp about four months ago but he either didnt register what i was asking or didnt think it mattered. Please help x

lucylou1234 Thu 19-Nov-15 13:07:24

Hi,

are you taking folic acid tablets also ? ive read that as well as being beneficial for baby, it can also help you get pregnant. I havn't heard anything about iron tablets but i looked at my prenatal vitamins and iron is incuded in them ?

londonrach Thu 19-Nov-15 14:56:50

Ive been taking folic acid tablets for pretty much the whole of this year but its just the folic acid as dont want to over dose on the iron. If i do fall pregnant i plan to remove myself off the iron tablets and use the posh preg care tablets which has iron in too but until then stay on the iron. Just worried the iron is stopping pregnancy.

Cookie22 Thu 19-Nov-15 19:06:07

Hi, I have pernicious anaemia and have been on a high dose of iron tablets 3x per day, as well as folic acid, for the past 3 years. I never realised this can prevent pregnancy? Im a bit worried now!! Xx

londonrach Thu 19-Nov-15 20:52:17

Cookie, ive no idea it can hence why im asking. In fact from my google research having iron helps you fall pregnant.

lucylou1234 Thu 19-Nov-15 23:17:55

Hi,

i found this article :

www.whattoexpect.com/preconception/ask-heidi/iron-and-fertility.aspx

Ive had a quick read through and from what it says iron deficiency in itself can have a role in fertility, so keep taking those iron tablets. Make sure you drink plenty orange juice for vitamin c as that helps absorb the ironxxx

Me624 Fri 20-Nov-15 08:06:49

Take them! I struggled with ttc for over a year before we went to the doc and the reason appears to be that I was massively anaemic. After I'd been on high dose iron tablets for 4 months, my levels were back up to normal and I got my bfp a month later!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now