Talk

Advanced search

Advice on first visit to GP

(14 Posts)
Sylvie35 Wed 11-Nov-15 12:19:48

Hello,

We have been ttc since the beginning of the year, sadly with nothing happening so far! I have a GP appointment in the morning, i was wondering if anybody with more experience than me can give me any tips on questions i should ask and what i should expect the GP to do as a first step? I'm a bit worried about it and could do with some advice! Thanks in advance! smile

Grace893 Wed 11-Nov-15 12:59:57

Hi Sylvie I recently had a first doctors appointment and I think it would be useful for them to know your cycle lengths, what your periods are like, if you are normally regular, what your DP's and your general lifestyle is like. This list is not exhaustive but it might be some questions they ask.

Sylvie35 Wed 11-Nov-15 13:11:01

Thanks Grace893! I think i can do all that..... did your GP do blood tests when you went?

Pipbin Wed 11-Nov-15 13:13:20

I good few years ago I had my first appointment.
We had to do day 3 and day 21 bloods and DH had to do a sperm test. After that we were sent to the fertility clinic.

If you are over 30 and ttcing number 1 I suggest joining The Elderberries, they are a lovely bunch.

Grace893 Wed 11-Nov-15 13:19:31

Hi Sylvie She booked me in for a day 21 test and a internal scan (iv since been diagnosed with PCOS) and I have a follow up appointment to talk about the results tomorrow.

Sylvie35 Wed 11-Nov-15 13:23:02

Thanks Grace and Pipbin! I'm nearly 37 and overweight, so i am worried they will just tell me to go away!

Pipbin Wed 11-Nov-15 17:31:25

I was exactly the same Sylvie. They won't tell you to go away but be aware that the limits for NHS help is to be under 40 with a BMI of under 25 I think.

Pipbin Wed 11-Nov-15 17:32:21

Be aware as well that the amount of NHS help you will get varies from region to region.

Pipbin Wed 11-Nov-15 17:34:34

Here is the link to the Berries.
They are lovely and have all been through it. They can give you loads of advice. I couldn't have got through it without them.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/conception/2461948-Strapping-on-our-lady-balls-and-going-menkul-because-we-HATE-THIS-SHIT-The-Berries-a-lovely-bunch-of-30-something-Ladybros-TTC-1

Osirus Wed 11-Nov-15 21:59:29

BMI usually must be under 29.9. I've just been through IVF and my BMI is about 27ish! It depends on the area though. I had to have blood tests and an internal scan before we were referred to the fertility clinic.

Osirus Wed 11-Nov-15 22:00:58

Oh, and you have to 29-35 to qualify for help in my region. This can vary widely. Good luck. flowers

Thisisbonkers Wed 11-Nov-15 22:04:05

I have my day 21 blood test on Monday and an ultrasound (and internal?) two weeks today. I'm bricking the hospital appointment sad

Pipbin Wed 11-Nov-15 22:37:09

You're right Osirus BMI under 30.

Pipbin Wed 11-Nov-15 22:39:24

And the massive problem is that there are only guidelines to help so what you will get varies massively.

I got three full rounds of IVF on the NHS but if I lived in the next county, which is only 10 miles away and where I had to go for treatment, I wouldn't have got anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now