Talk

Advanced search

Nuclear power plants - a cause of miscarriage?

(4 Posts)
VestalVirgin Fri 06-Nov-15 15:12:43

You know what they say; that living close to a nuclear power plant is completely safe. And maybe that's true for adults, but ... I have recently read some research that implied that while there's no proof of birth defects caused by radiation, there is an increase in miscarriages early in pregnancy.

As I live close to a nuclear power plant and don't think I will have the money to move away anytime soon, this worries me.

Does anyone here have experiences with trying to conceive while living close to a nuclear power plant? Or even more interesting, did someone move and have different experiences when away from a nuclear plant?

Twickerhun Fri 06-Nov-15 19:14:31

Oh op do you live near Chernobyl? If not I think the scientific evidence would, on balance, suggest you are safe.

FreeWorker1 Fri 06-Nov-15 19:24:06

If you live in an area composed of granite rocks you will be exposed to far more radiation than from your local nuclear plant.

If on the other hand you live near a nuclear plant in a state of catastrophic meltdown such as Chernobyl or Fukushima there is a heightened risk of genetic birth defects as well as cancers in young children.

I think on balance you are safe.

RoseDog Fri 06-Nov-15 19:32:04

I dont know about living near a nuclear power plant but dp has worked in them and we had no problem conceiving and our ds is extremely clever has no defects that we could have put down to dps work there were many jokes about him possibly being bright green when born

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now