Talk

Advanced search

A message to all those ladies struggling to understand opks...

(14 Posts)
Vap0 Fri 06-Nov-15 11:04:14

Hi
Just a quick message to let any of you who are struggling to get a positive on internet cheapie ovulation tests have a look at this picture. I know you read on here that so many people have a line all the way through the month. But lots of people also don't. I have tested with clear blue ovulation test and ic with the same fmu today and the cb says ovulation is imminent. The ic is miles off. To those who say you have to use afternoon or evening urine to get a positive on an ic that is not always correct. I get nothing what so ever in the afternoons even after holding in wee for hours and limiting liquid intake.
A positive message for those ladies who always look for answers about this every month when my opks don't say positive.
I'm having a blood test this month to test for ovulation so will confirm later in the month.

MummyBex1985 Fri 06-Nov-15 11:18:34

I got a solid face on my CV but when Inejected the test, the line wasn't remotely dark. I have serious doubts about the CB digi.

OPKs are all notoriously crap though which is probably why GPs hate them so much!

Stace2015 Fri 06-Nov-15 22:32:10

Hey ladies! I SO needed this! Just started using opks this month (CB digital) and I'm sleeping slightly confused. After wasting 2 as I used them wrongly I've finally got the hang of it BUT.. Today I had egg white mucus so thought, hooray I'm ovulating, did a test today it was negative!? Also did a test yesterday which was negative.. My ovia app says that my fertile window should be today.. Anyway have any advice?! X

MrsC2013 Fri 06-Nov-15 23:12:02

Stace- I had EWCM last cycle but it wasn't until 2 days later that I got a positive. It's normal to get it a few days before ov so it's a good sign you're due to ovulate soon. I would keep doing the CB tests and DTD too as it's your fertile time. I use Fertility Friend so don't know anything about Ovia, do you measure temps too with it?

Vap0 Fri 06-Nov-15 23:44:25

stace do you have the smiley face ones? If so you need to start testing before you are in your fertile window I think because the little monitor measures your levels in the 1st one and then measures any increase. When you have ejected them from the monitor what have the lines looked like? I've posted a pic of mine here. I find ovia app nice to use and generally quite accurate if you populate it with your info correctly and are quite regular.
Someone told me there is a helpline you can call which is noted on the box where they will be able to respond to your questions more accurately. Have you had just the empty circle when you have tested? It's probably worth a call to the helpline before you use any more this month as you don't want to waste them. Although not sure if they will be open on a sat. What cd are you?
mrsc you van measure temp on ovia bug it doesn't give you your baseline. FF is the best for that, I use both. Ovia because of it's nice interface with nice little annecdotes every day but FF for the charts

Stace2015 Sat 07-Nov-15 00:00:48

Hi MrsC thanks for that! Was getting some ovulation pains/ cramps yesterday so I'm defo in my fertile window. We have been DTD every other day so we shall see

Hey Vap1 thanks for breaking that down for me, a great help! Tbh I'm pretty clueless with these things and has thrown the used ones away!! I didn't know to keep them?! I am CD14 at the mo, my ovia app shows today as being the 1st day in my fertile window so I'm assuming I will prob ov Sunday/ Monday. Not sure if these opk are for me, too stressful! Lol x

MrsC2013 Sat 07-Nov-15 00:21:47

Thanks for the info Vap0 I'm happy just with FF. Have been ttc for so long I'll probably send myself even more crazy measuring on another app! grin

Best of luck Stace It sounds like you're doing everything right so I hope it works for you. I find them useful personally as if I just based suspected ov on cm, I would've thought that I ov'd days earlier than I actually did. I confirm it with temps on Fertility Friend but like the reassurance of temps, Opks and physical signs such as CM and CP to confirm ov, as I've been ttc a long time and have long cycles due to PCOS. I use Internet cheapies though as I'd hate wasting money for them to be negative! I know CB are easier to read though.

Stace2015 Sat 07-Nov-15 09:42:47

Hey MrsC

Yeh your defo right that it gives your more of an indication as to when you ob'ing, i normally just go by the ova app and dtd every other day in the fertile window. We have been actively trying for about 1 and a half years now and no joy! Recently got told by the doc that my dh has a low sperm count so we are being referred to a fertility clinic.. half of me thinks theres no point trying naturally if thats the case but of course id ideally like to conceive naturally which is why i keep trying!

MrsC2013 Sun 08-Nov-15 00:33:55

Completely get that! I think it's unlikely I'll conceive without medication which I start I'm January, but am still going to keep ttc in the meantime. We'd be silly not to! Do you know when your first appointment is?

Vap0 Sun 08-Nov-15 00:46:49

I know what you mean by another app to make you go nuts mrsc, I was only using ovia until I started temping last month but FF is so brilliant for temping, ovia is better for everything else. We are 27 months into this process and I'm actually at my wits end with it all. We are due for our appointment in Jan too to discuss IVF, keep in touch and let us know how you get on smile

Stace2015 Sun 08-Nov-15 09:36:00

Hey MrsC and Vapo

Still waiting for our appointment letter to arrive but I've been told it's been issued.. Such a long process so I'm assuming we now won't get seen until the new year :-( just want to get things moving now! On my DH letter it states that we are only eligible for ICSI

MrsC what drugs are you going to have to take? Is it for you or your partner?

MrsC2013 Sun 08-Nov-15 13:15:54

Me too Vap0 I've been ttc for 3 years so have lots of days where I'm disillusioned with everything, especially when family members and others keep getting pg without even trying! I know we just have to keep going though as I'm not willing to give up. Will definitely keep in touch, I drive myself crazy on lots of the threads on here so will always be around smile

MrsC2013 Sun 08-Nov-15 13:23:09

Hey Stace It is a long wait for appointments which makes everything take longer. Everyone I know in rl has no issue getting pg but there must be a lot of strangers who struggle like us as the wait for appointments and treatment is so long. I wasn't sure what ICSI was so Googled, it seems that it is the best option for you with DH having low Sperm count. I know the waiting is a pain but at least they've pinpointed the issue and can treat you hopefully fairly soon.

It seems I struggle with ovulation, though I monitor it at home and I do ov, perhaps not strongly enough. Hence they'll be putting me on Clomid. DH is good, no problems.

Stace2015 Sun 08-Nov-15 23:04:56

Hey MrsC, hope you've had a good Sunday smile

Yes that what's I've read about ICSI too, weren't sure if it was a good or bad thing that we weren't put down as eligible for IVF but I suppose they know best!

The fact that you do ov is a good sign so hopefully the drugs can strengthen it for you, hope the new year will bring good news for you!

It's dead upsetting when family / friends get preg without even trying, especially when you get the 'it'll be you next!' Comment and they don't even know the struggles your going through! Wishing you luck anyway x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now