Talk

Advanced search

Shettles theory - trying for a little girl :)

(11 Posts)
MummyC92 Fri 30-Oct-15 11:06:10

Myself and DP already have a gorgeous DS who is now 4. We have been ttc now for 2 months (not long I know but DS was conceived on first try). We would love to have a little girl and have been researching the shettles theory of sex as far as possible from ovulation for the best chance of conceiving a girl!
My cycles are very irregular so I have been using OPKs to predict when I might ovulate, we dtd last night and 5 days ago. I have done the test just now and it is showing a positive! How long from now will I ovulate? Should I avoid sex from now until ovulation has passed?

Obviously a healthy baby is our biggest concern and would be over the moon to have another little boy but would just love to have one of each!

Tia x

PennyHasNoSurname Fri 30-Oct-15 11:12:17

I will never understand anyone who micromanages their sexlife to try and manipulate the outcome to boy or girl. Getting pregnant in the first place is such a precise science and tbh you either seize the opportunity to conceive or you risk getting to a year or more down the line and no bite - purepy because youve written off the majority of the month on a game of chance.

Runner05 Fri 30-Oct-15 11:22:20

All of the "scientific" studies on controlling the sex of your child contradict each other and at the end of the day it really does seem to be up to chance.
I would just concentrate on getting pregnant if I were you and keep your fingers crossed.

VestalVirgin Mon 02-Nov-15 17:22:33

If you have such an easy time getting pregnant, then shallow or no penetration is the way to go - to be honest, it is the only factor I believe has any influence. (Okay, and may be vaginal ph, but really, if your vagina is not acidic, you are doing something wrong, anyway)

I think the timing methods have mostly been debunked. If you want to try that, I'd just measure the vaginal ph and make sure it's acidic, and then have non penetrative sex. (I think the important part is in the sperm being exposed to the acid, which doesn't happen much with traditional sex positions)

You can always go back to the traditional way when you get frustrated with the lack of success. wink

CleverPlansAndSecretTricks Mon 02-Nov-15 17:27:53

Sorry if I am being really thick...but how do you get pregnant from non penetrative sex?? Must be v v unlikely?

VestalVirgin Mon 02-Nov-15 18:43:08

Technically, as long as the sperm gets into the vagina, you can get pregnant. Happens to unlucky teenagers all the time. (Don't want to go into details here, not sure what's deemed appropriate in this forum)
Of course, it would be harder for a woman who actually wants to get pregnant. The irony of fate and all that.

I once read about a couple who had tried the Shettles method without success, five boys in a row, and then they had to interrupt sex before any of them orgasmed and the woman got pregnant with a girl.

So, unlikely pregnancies seem the way to get girls? (I would only recommend that for people who have time and patience, though)

Pixa Mon 02-Nov-15 19:13:47

I think you need to take a step back, read what you've written, realise how ridiculous you're being and how bloomin' lucky you are.

Take a long hard think about how many people are on this forum, desperately trying for a child or struggling with infertility and then realise how you come across.

You will are lucky having a child, regardless of gender.

fififolle Mon 02-Nov-15 19:37:45

I find talk of 'Shettles theory' offensive. Yes, I clicked on the thread but I'm amazed that anyone would try to control the sex of their baby.
A healthy baby is a miraculous gift, unfortunately beyond the grasp of so many people. There are so many ladies desperate to conceive full stop. Unfortunately infertility whether explained or unexplained is so common. This is before anyone gets in to the realm of miscarriage or even, God forbid, recurrent miscarriage.
I wish you all the luck with your TTC dc#2 but it's bloody had work with out even beginning to consider influencing the sex.

MummyC92 Mon 02-Nov-15 20:18:32

I didn't set out to cause any offence - simply asking for other people's experiences and opinions if they had tried the theory.
I did say we would be very happy if we conceived a boy, have just heard many positive things on this theory and thought it may be worth a go.

shelbTa Mon 02-Nov-15 20:32:22

MummyC92 I couldn't read and run after looking at some of these comments - don't give yourself a hard time, I for one didn't read it as offensive. Good luck however it all turns out.

X

MummyC92 Mon 02-Nov-15 20:47:52

Thank you shelbTa, and VestalVirgin for the tips, we have done all we can for this month now, just waiting until I can test smile Fingers crossed x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now