Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Confused! Could do with some help...

(8 Posts)
sophied1983 Fri 16-Oct-15 07:36:57

Hiya

I came off the mini-Pill early May and first AF arrived 6 weeks later.

Next cycle was 45 days and the one after that was 47. I've been plotting it in an app and next AF should be 36 days away.

However, my friend bought me a digital ovulation kit thingy, the Clearblue one with dual hormone indicator.

They advise for long cycles to start testing 20 days before next period is due, but I thought I'd start a couple of days ago just to see what's happening throughout my ridiculously long cycles.

Anyway, this morning - a flashing smiley face came up which means high fertility... why would this be???

Hopingfortwo Fri 16-Oct-15 08:50:42

Hi Sophie,

I'm new to OPK but when the face starts flashing that means your body has started to produce the hormone that prepares your ovaries for ovulation (LH - look this up on google) although I think the instructions covers it.

When the face stops flashing that means your LH is at it's peak and you could ovulate within the next 48 hours - although the test doesn't actually tell you when so women could be ovulating as they see the static face. This is why the day to stop testing after you see the static face and just get to bonking!!!

What I have recently learnt is that women can create LH but the ovary for whatever reason doesn't produce the egg. That's not me trying to scare you, just sharing the knowledge that the OPK is no guarantee.

Wishing you all the very best though!!! Do you look out for cervical mucus? That is also a sign, but again is different for everyone.

Xxx

lilygirl81 Fri 16-Oct-15 09:59:11

I got 9 flashing smilies in a row, so I'd just start dtd every other day or so until you get your solid happy face smile

sophied1983 Fri 16-Oct-15 10:01:25

I'm confused why I'm getting that now though as based on my cycle length, my period isn't due for 36 days?!

PosterEh Fri 16-Oct-15 10:12:00

Do you have PCOS? Just wandering because of the long cycles. I've read online that PCOS can cause you to always get highs on OPKs because the cysts are constantly releasing the relevant hormone in small quantities.

lilygirl81 Fri 16-Oct-15 10:13:17

I'm actually not a huge fan of this monitor, I think it gives you way too many high fertility days. The instructions also say if you get 9 in a row your are unlikely to OV so I was really worrying myself, but then got my peak on the 10th test. Half of me thinks it is a money spinning idea, to get you to test as much as possible, but I may be cynical.

PosterEh Fri 16-Oct-15 10:13:22

Sorry, just seen you've just come off the pill do that could explain the long cycles too - maybe your cycle has settled down a bit and you'll ovulate earlier this month?

sophied1983 Tue 20-Oct-15 15:08:42

It must be that. Woke up today and have noticed EWCM when I've gone to the loo. Good job I randomly decided to start testing. Perhaps, as you say, my body is finally settling into a normal cycle length post-Pill. Fingers crossed!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now