Coming off the pill / weird periods

(1 Post)
guidinglight Thu 15-Oct-15 19:17:44

Hi

I am 31 and had been on the pill since I was 18 - initially Microgynon and then Cerazette. Before I was 18, my periods were never regular and could be painful but not agonising. I put the irregular cycle down to me being very slim and sporty. I was regular on micorgynon and originally on cerazette I had no periods at all. However, I think I took a break and then went back on it, after which I had irregular periods that could sometimes last up to a fortnight, and could be quite painful.

I stopped taking the pill at the end of August so we could start TTC. I've downloaded an app so can see roughly when fertile windows are etc. In the first cycle I had a week of discomfort during the week I imagine I would ovulate. It wasn't excruciating pain but was very annoying. My period was then quite painful (woke me up at night as it did when I was on cerazette) but only lasted about 4 days. I'm now into my 'fertile' week again according to my app and again have experienced discomfort every day - it is pretty much constant.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this. I'm not sure if this is normal or if it indicates a problem (but I'm not sure about this as although I'm uncomfortable the pain isn't unbearable). My cousins on my mum's side all have endometriosis - is there a family link?

Sorry this is so long - this is the first time I've had 'real' periods in my adult life!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now