Talk

Advanced search

Spotting before af, opinions needed please

(4 Posts)
Aidycake34 Tue 13-Oct-15 17:51:36

I stopped breastfeeding dd last September and my period returned about a month later. I have spotted for up to 7 days prior to af every month since so went to see my gp who said that there is no such thing as spotting, it's just your period starting off really light and getting heavier from there. I'm not sure that I believe this, if what she's saying is correct that means that I get my period as little as 7 days post ovulation which doesn't bode well for conceiving number 2 which I am currently trying to do. Anyone one else been told anything like this? Or have an opinion on this? I should mention that 7 is the max, it's usually 2 - 4 days of spotting. Thanks.

Keeks220 Sat 17-Oct-15 21:31:38

Hi, was just having a browse and saw your question, thought id reply bcos its been something thats bothered me over the last few months. Since coming off the pill ive always had spotting but was worried something was wrong. I asked the dr and they said as it was a regular thing not random and not mid cycle they thought it was normal, prob just my hormones getting ready early. I wanted a 2nd opinion so went back and saw a nurse who agreed it was normal. From what ive read on here alot of people have it but i was worried just like you.

Marchgirl Sun 18-Oct-15 07:32:27

It can be perfectly normal (i had it for a while after my mcs but still fell pg) or it can be a few other things like polyps or cysts or progesterone issues. If it continues and esp if its more than light spotting and you don't fall pg then I'd go back and ask to be referred for some more testing. I don't think it's anything to be worried about right now (but if you're anything like me you'll be googling like a mad woman and reading all sorts of horror stories! ), so just see how things go for a few months. Hopefully it will sort itself soon and is just a hormone thing as they settle down. Good luck

Loki17 Sun 18-Oct-15 08:24:30

The go. is talking rubbish. When I had spotting, it was due to a sore spot in my womb that was being aggravated which caused the bleeding. I want to say it was called an 'eptropian' but I'm unsure of the spelling. I had a colposcapy to investigate and an iodine solution was applied to correct it. I'm not saying that spotting isn't symptomatic of af starting early. But it isn't always.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now