Talk

Advanced search

About to start Clomid after a very dry 14 months!

(15 Posts)
nervoussam Thu 24-Sep-15 16:24:44

Hi everyone, was wondering if some of you could share your experiences of taking clomid with me. I've been without a period for well over a year now, due to a combination of reasons - coming off the pill, stress etc. So I have now been prescribed norethisterone to give me a bleed, and then its all systems go for Clomid. Booked in for a blood test on day 21 of my cycle (not had one of those in a loooong time!) to see if its working or if they need to up the dose (50mg currently).
What experiences have you had, any side effects, success rate of ovulating and then pregnancy? Any multiple births too, as I know that's a risk.
Its all a bit scary as its been so long of back and forth to Dr's and waiting around for something to happen and suddenly its like I'm about to embark on a massive journey, just hoping its not a bumpy one!!!

Stepawayfromthezebras Thu 24-Sep-15 16:30:59

I took me 21 months to conceive and I'm currently 21 weeks pregnant after conceiving on my first cycle of Clomid. My fertility doctor said it wasn't worth us trying it and recommended we go straight to ivf as the tests showed I was ovulating. Luckily we thought we'd give it a go smile

I didn't have any side effects and despite being a 36 year old non identical twin just conceived the one.

Good luck! And I hope it's a journey with just the one bump in it for you wink

Vixxfacee Thu 24-Sep-15 16:35:49

Hi,
What is the reason for you taking clomid? I took it as I have pcos. Theres a thread on conception called trying to conceive with pcos where alot of ladies have tried clomid.

I have taken 50 mg and 100 mg and it didn't do anything. Just made me feel depressed! Given up on clomid now and about to start ivf tonight.

nervoussam Thu 24-Sep-15 16:57:08

Congrat zebras! Despite a long wait I'm glad that it worked out for you!

Vixx, I don't have pcos, I was idle in producing FSH and therefore not ovulating. Really hoping this gets things going. From coming off the pill over a year ago my younger sister, started ttc, fell pregnant and gave birth yesterday so I'm feeling the pressure! Her little boy is gorgeous though x

eskimoflo Thu 24-Sep-15 22:05:02

Your story sounds almost identical to mine, nervoussam. I came off the pill last November and have never had a real period. I have been prescribed Norethisterone quite a few times, and have had various tests, from a HyCoSy, internal ultrasound and CD3 and CD21 tests. All of my tests have been fine, with nothing hugely out of the ordinary, except for the fact that I wasn't ovulating- and never have ovulated since stopping BC.

So I was prescribed Clomid back in June and so far I've had a dose of 50mg and 100mg, neither of which have resulted in ovulation. I have just finished a course of 150mg and have CD21 tests booked in for 6th June to see if it has worked, but if I'm honest, I'm not holding out much hope. I have a feeling that my system has shut down and it's going to need something a bit more than clomid to wake it up again. Clomid is an oestrogen blocker, so it fools your body into believing that it's not making any oestrogen, which makes it produce an excess after the clomid is finished. As I believe that my body isn't making anything in terms of hormones, I don't think that there is actually any oestrogen to block, if that makes sense? The clomid can't block oestrogen if it's not being produced, right?

Anyway, after asking around and learning oher people's experiences, I believe that if 150mg doesn't work, the doctors will try another form of treatment. I think I will be given a course of Menopur (injectables). Apparently, over 80% of women ovulate on Menopur, so I have got my hopes up for that, as it works by directly stimulating the ovaries into producing an egg.

I really hope the clomid works for you. It's reassuring to know that there is someone else with a similar story to mine; I have felt a bit lonely on these boards as I seem to be a rarity in my situation! Keep in touch!

eskimoflo Thu 24-Sep-15 22:07:15

6th June? Of course I meant 6th October. Time does pass soooooo slowly when you are going through all of this!

nervoussam Fri 25-Sep-15 15:19:58

Wow eskimoflo, sounds like you've had a frustrating time of it! Something I can certainly relate to! Looks like your doctor was great it getting lots of tests done for you though, I really struggled to get them to do anything other than tell me to wait! I ended up only having a blood test and they were very vague when talking through the results with me. I ended up going for a private consultation to try and give me some piece of mind and it was only through that that I knew what was going on with me. He kindly wrote to my GP with a course of action if my periods didn't return after another 3 months, which they didn't. So I'm not sure if I'd have been on this course if it wasn't for him.
Have you just had 1 month of the 150mg? Fingers crossed for your tests in Oct. How are you feeling about it, think it will show anything?
Its day 3 of the norethisterone for me, so hopefully in another few days I will have had my first period in a long time!
Keep in touch too!

eskimoflo Sat 26-Sep-15 11:38:29

It is all so very frustrating nervoussam. I think one of the worst things about it is that hopes are built every time, and then dashed time and time again. Also, the not knowing when to try, due to lack of cycles and the sheer amount of time that needs to pass between one dose of clomid and another (including taking the Norethisterone, waiting for the bleed, having the bleed, starting the clomid, TTC and then having the blood tests and waiting for the results.) All of that takes around 2 months. Having never ovulated, we've never had a 'real' chance to try, and so it's been months of futile attempts.

Anyway... must remain optimistic. I'm not getting my hopes up for this round of clomid and am wanting it over with really, so I can move onto whatever is next for me. If this doesn't work, I don't think they'll give me more clomid.

My GP was a bit clueless really. They usually have no idea when it comes to fertility. He initially prescribed me a course of Norethisterone back in January in the hope that it would 'kick-start' something, but when it didn't, they were keen to refer me to a consultant and all my treatment since then has been with the hospital.

I am on the 'Bumsnet' thread on here, along with a lot of very lovely ladies. You are very welcome to come and join us grin x x

nervoussam Tue 29-Sep-15 14:33:04

Thanks eskimo, I will search out that thread. Currently still waiting for the forced AF from the norethisterone, took last of it on Sunday, have had a bit of period pain tummy (or what I remember it to be! wink ) so fingers crossed its working!

Sounds like you're in a good frame of mind about it all, I find that comes in fits and starts, sometimes down and sometimes hopeful. Yesterday and went to visit my brand new nephew, he's totally gorgeous, I was worried about being a little tearful but was fine and just really happy to meet him. x

YouBoggleMyMind Wed 30-Sep-15 11:47:55

Hi nervoussam

I have also been trying for 14 months with no period since August 2014. Just finished my 7 day course of Provera (to induce AF) and then it's on to my first cycle of Clomid (50mg).
Got to have a blood test between CD2-5, a scan between CD11-14 and a CD21 progesterone blood test. The scan will determine if I need to up my dose of Clomid to 100mg. I am swinging between excited and scared. I'm quite pessimistic so not feeling very confident.

I hope everything goes well for you and you get your BFP on the first go! Fingers crossed flowers

nervoussam Thu 01-Oct-15 09:49:00

Hi YouBoggleMyMind sounds like you're getting lots of care with the numerous blood tests and scans, I feel after reading a few peoples accounts of their situations which are similar to mine, that they are getting a lot more care and input from their Dr's than I have been. Its been a struggle to get them to do anything at times.

Its 4 days now since I stopped taking the norethisterone now and still no period. How long is everyone else experience of stopping the tablets and AF arriving?
x

YouBoggleMyMind Thu 01-Oct-15 10:53:36

I'm on day 2 of waiting for AF to show. Got grumblings but nothing more. Says it can take from 3-7 days (though I was told 2-3).

We were incredibly lucky that my GP was so helpful and supportive and arranged everything so quick. The Fertility Clinic gave me blood cards to do do the blood tests on those days and i'll arrange the scan back at the Clinic once AF actually turns up.

Definitely go back to your Dr if you feel you need more help and support.

Good luck xxx

nervoussam Thu 01-Oct-15 14:36:22

3-7 days sounds better, I'll perhaps give it till tomorrow or the weekend and then call the Dr to see what they think, can only ask.

I think it is pot luck with GP's, I saw one who point blank said to me that he didn't really know much about this subject and asked what I thought and what course of action I wanted to take - errr, I dunno, isn't that your job?! Ha ha.

xxx

nervoussam Wed 14-Oct-15 11:19:50

So the norethisterone didn't work. Got put on a much stronger dose for double the length of time. Last day of taking that today. Fingers crossed it works this time. No idea what I'll do if it doesn't!

How is everyone else doing?
xxx

YouBoggleMyMind Wed 14-Oct-15 13:13:36

Hi nervous

Thought i'd check in. Just finished AF and have taken my first cycle of Clomid. Scan on the 19th and CD 21 blood test on the 26th.

I hope the new dose works for you! xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now