How far in advance do you need to take folic acid?

(6 Posts)
CandyCrush77 Mon 14-Sep-15 18:03:15

Thinking about TTC but only started taking folic acid a few days ago. The packet says to take it up to 3 months in advance but not sure if this is actually recommended or just for marketing purposes. Anyone know?

PotteringAlong Mon 14-Sep-15 18:05:47

I think it's because it's advisable to take it all through the first 12 weeks so if you find out you're pregnant you've already missed 2 weeks iyswim? That said, I've never taken it in advance.

SesameSparkle Mon 14-Sep-15 20:30:54

Hi Candy, yes I think the recommendation is to take for 3 months for maximum benefit. This should help to build up your folate reserves before getting pregnant. Then you continue to take throughout first 12 weeks as pottering points out.

MummyBex1985 Mon 14-Sep-15 20:39:16

Most conception vitamins on the market contain the same level of folic acid as recommended in pregnancy - mine certainly do!

I figure it isn't a waste of money, because I can finish up my spare conception pills before moving onto the pregnancy ones if when it happens.

CandyCrush77 Tue 15-Sep-15 18:41:20

Anyone know if it's a problem if you haven't take them for 3 months beforehand???

pinksummer Tue 15-Sep-15 18:51:37

It won't be a problem at all. Start taking it now and it will be fine. There is folic acid in breakfast cereals and random things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now