Talk

Advanced search

Acupuncture when TTC

(5 Posts)
TheCatsMother99 Sun 16-Aug-15 15:10:25

Hiya, I'm very new to TTC so apologies in advance if I say or ask anything stupid & also if I'm repeating topics.

I was just wondering whether anyone here has tried accupincture whilst TTC and whether you feel you've benefitted from having it?

I was thinking about seeing the accupuncturist my husband goes to to manage his back pain (because I feel comfortable with her and confident she knows what she's doing) and having a session in a bid to get my body back in a rhythm after being on the pill for about 12 years. I figure it can't do any harm but if the general consensus on here is that it'd be a waste of time then I won't.

Thanks!

TheCatsMother99 Sun 16-Aug-15 15:11:00

Apologies for the typos too... I'm on the mobile site blush

Indomitable Sun 16-Aug-15 15:22:13

For a while, the evidence on acupuncture (for anything) was mixed. However there is now sufficient evidence to show that acupuncture is not effective in treating anything. That's not to say you won't feel better after lying down with no distractions and being touched gently by a trusted person (that will make a person feel better).

If you're starting out TTC your best bet would be to eat healthily, maintain a healthy weight, reduce caffeine & alcohol intake, quit smoking (if you do) and then shag a lot. Save your money for scans/maternity clothes and (should the worst happen) private fertility treatment.

Good luck

Kangaroosjump Sun 16-Aug-15 15:32:02

Iv tried it not TTC and do feel it helped in balancing my hormones and restoring my cycle (PCOS)

I know people who think it didn't help at all.

Different things work for different people

TheCatsMother99 Sun 16-Aug-15 16:22:48

Thanks for your replies, they're both interesting.

I've always wondered whether it was the placebo effect but as my DH is quite sceptical about things and yet it's helped him when he's been in terrible pain with slipped disks I wondered whether there was more to it than that.

At the moment I think I won't rush to the acupuncturist but might explore it in a few weeks time, even if I just see the appointment as a way to try to relax.

I've already made lifestyle choices (cut down on alcohol, take vitamins & eat better etc... I've never smoked) so just want to give myself the best chance there is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now