Talk

Advanced search

Strength of HCG - symptoms VS BFN

(4 Posts)
dcmw Thu 06-Aug-15 09:14:27

Hi all
I'm not normally a "symptom spotter" and am generally quite logical about TTC (e.g. I don't overthink every cramp/sore nipple) but just need a bit of advice..

Since Monday I have had a metallic taste and been feeling badly nauseous throughout each day, which is very unusual for me. I also have had big, sore boobs (not as unusual - they always become quite swollen straight after ovulation but not normally for this long), headaches, sensitive to smells, nosebleeds, sneezing - again all unusual.

Also when I woke up yesterday, my left tube where I had my ectopic was painful but I haven't felt anything there since (tbf this happens a couple of times a month symptoms or not so it could be completely unrelated).

I know these are all classic pregnancy symptoms so I have taken a couple of tests including a First Response first thing this morning, but nothing! All negative.

I'm aware that it is early (AF due Sat/Sun) but if I am having quite pronounced symptoms then one would expect that the hormone is strong enough to show on a test? and if not then it's more likely that I am not pregnant?

Can anyone shed any light on symptoms VS BFN - what is the likely-hood that someone could experience symptoms but test negatively?

Reebok Thu 06-Aug-15 22:39:24

With my second pregnancy I had every symptom in the book...nausea, dizziness, sore boobs, metal mouth, could smell things from a mile Away, grumpy, peeing like mad, trapped wind, hungry...I tested negative until I was a week late...but I was definitely pregnant. My LO is two and a currently sleeping near me. The crazy thing is my hormones were sky high with that pregnancy and I had hyperemesis so I was really sick. With my first and third pregnancies, I tested positive straight away, had very few symptoms but mc with both pregnancies. With these two pregnancies my hcg levels were low. Still don't understand why I tested positive early on with my mc but negative with my only successful pregnancy.

dcmw Fri 07-Aug-15 10:04:12

Thanks for your help, Reebok! That clarifies things, I'm still having symptoms now so will test on Sunday or Monday if AF not arrived yet! I guess it's better to listen to your body rather than the tests sometimes.

Reebok Fri 07-Aug-15 10:16:18

You're welcome. Hope you get the result you want!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now