Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Spotting vs AF? (poss TMI)

(11 Posts)
Mermaid36 Mon 27-Jul-15 13:27:22

OK, so I haven't had a period for over 9 years (progesterone only pill)...

I'm on my first cycle since coming off the pill, and today I have had (light) brown discharge when I wipe (a bit like right at the end of a period).
Is this spotting?

And when does spotting turn into AF? When there's more than a 'wipe' of it?

I'm logging through tyhe Ovia app, so am trying to get it as accurate as possible.

Its so long since I had to deal with this stuff (plus my AF's were just huge splurges of bright red blood for several days, then nothing)

dizzylemon Mon 27-Jul-15 13:36:33

I get this and consider it spotting. For me it lasts 3-4 days, normally, before proper flow but does vary. It's not considered day 1 until you get proper bleeding i.e. without wiping.

I understand it's fairly normal, but everyone is different and yours may change as you adapt to coming off the pill.

Mermaid36 Mon 27-Jul-15 14:31:33

Thanks dizzy - it's a minefield! I've never had to worry about spotting vs AF etc before ttc!

jellybelly85 Tue 28-Jul-15 07:29:37

Hmmm. You've got me thinking Mermaid - I've also been waiting for my first AF, after many years on the implant.

Last week I had 3 days of either super super light AF or spotting. It wasn't anywhere near as heavy as my pre-implant period, was bright red... but after 3 days it stopped (as did all typical AF cramping).

So... AF or spotting?

dizzylemon Tue 28-Jul-15 09:23:28

Spotting imo - withdrawal bleed.

jellybelly85 Wed 29-Jul-15 07:08:09

Would the time since implant removal make a difference? I assumed a withdrawal bleed would occur within the same week as hormones kick in - whereas this was after 3 weeks.

I guess either way I have no real way of knowing. Plan to just have regular sex to cover all bases!

ktkaye Wed 29-Jul-15 17:36:37

Hi all, just wanted to add my 2p as I've just come off the implant (which is progesterone only I think) and have had exactly the same thing. My natural periods used to start almost full flow and bright red. Since they've come back post contraception both 'periods' have been brown and only really there when I wipe. At first I just thought it was spitting but the same thing happened exactly 28 days later with much more cramping this time and a little bit more red. Still not nearly as much as I would expect though. I think this is us going back to normal post contraception maybe?? Frustrating though as we are TTc and I'm worried my uterine lining isn't full enough!!! Hope this helps... You aren't the only one! Would love a 'full flow' ! Xx

dizzylemon Wed 29-Jul-15 21:04:07

I think it takes a whike for the hormones to get back in balance after any form.of hormonal contraceptive. I think it jusy requires.patience.

jellybelly85 Wed 29-Jul-15 21:51:31

Thanks for sharing ktkaye - its nice to know I'm not alone in this! I was similar, had all the premenstrual symptoms but very little to show for it. I'm using OPKs this month to see if I'm ovulating at least... [I'm super impatient, so my body better hurry up and get normal!]

ktkaye Wed 29-Jul-15 22:25:21

Me too! It took 3 months of an agonising wait for my rather lacklustre periods to start and that was awful. Now I'm wondering whether I'm ovulating at all...I've stopped using OPKs as I was getting really down about them being consistently negative and started worrying. Then I read that they are unreliable..but loads of other ladies on here use them very successfully! Who knew all this could be so variable! Anyway trying to 'relax' (har de har har). Good luck!!!

Mermaid36 Thu 30-Jul-15 11:05:27

I'e had a 3 day AF this week...fairly light flow, but I'm pleased that I've had something at least. I came off the pill about 5 weeks ago, and I know it can take time, but I'm so impatient!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now