Talk

Advanced search

Negative Blood type trying to conceive after termination

(12 Posts)
jaydee88 Mon 27-Jul-15 13:13:05

Hi guys,
I am new to this and not sure if I've posted in the right place!
Me and my Fiance have been ttc for four months now after coming off the implant.
But something just struck me, around 5 years ago we had a termination as we weren't ready for children and didn't have our own house.
Trouble is... my blood type is O Rh Negative and my partner is A Positive (I think!)
I read up that the hospital should have given me an injection to prevent problems to any other pregnancy I have...
They gave me an injection in my bum afterwards but I seem to remember them saying it was to make my womb contract back to normal? (I had the pills one day then came back two days later for some more pills and to give birth)
They were aware of my blood type because they asked me if I knew I was negative. But I didn't really understand at the time until I did some research. Does anyone know if they would have given me the injection I needed? It's all quite a blur but now it's really worrying me that I might miscarry if I fall pregnant. A child is all I've ever wanted and it's breaking my heart that I didn't keep the first one because now karma may be coming to bite me in the a**.
Can someone explain this Negative blood type thing to me and was the injection definitely needed at the time? What if they didn't give it me? Or could that injection in my bum have been the one I needed?

Thanks guys.

Xxxxxx

NoMontagues Mon 27-Jul-15 13:15:10

How many weeks were you when you had the termination? I don't this your body starts making antibodies until a certain point.

sebsmummy1 Mon 27-Jul-15 13:16:48

I am also O neg so know calotype but about this. How far long were you when you terminated? If you were early I suspect that's why they didn't give you the jab as the placenta forms around 10-12 weeks and it's at that point that the baby and mother share blood. Before then it's not an issue.

sebsmummy1 Mon 27-Jul-15 13:17:19

*a little bit about this

MyGastIsFlabbered Mon 27-Jul-15 13:18:44

I'm O- and had what's called an anti-D injection about 28 weeks into pregnancy to prevent my body producing antibodies. I think it's in case the baby had a positive blood type my body would produce antibodies which could harm future babies. I'm don't know when you had the termination (as in how far along you were) so I can't advise on that front but I would have thought you would have got the injection if you had needed it. If in doubt could you speak to a family planning clinic/GP ?

jaydee88 Mon 27-Jul-15 13:22:22

Hi! Thank you for the reply...
I was 14 and a half weeks when I had the termination. Hope that helps
Xxxxxxx

UrethraFranklin1 Mon 27-Jul-15 13:25:33

You would have been given the anti-d at that point.It's not something that is forgotten about.

NoMontagues Mon 27-Jul-15 13:27:27

Can you contact the clinic and ask them if anti-D would have been given as standard in your circumstance?

If you can't get an answer or they didn't give you anti-D then I think you'll still be ok as long as you get it during your pregnancy.

Good luck with ttc. Don't go down the road of thinking about karma and things like that. You made the decision that was right at the time flowers

jaydee88 Mon 27-Jul-15 13:28:09

Oh that's great to know. I'm so glad you've said that.
It was all a bit of a blur but I do remember the nurse coming in and telling me that it could affect further pregnancies etc so they definitely knew about it... I can only remember the injection into my bum though (which I thought was to contract my womb) would this have been the anti-d? Xxxxxx

NoMontagues Mon 27-Jul-15 13:30:02

Bum injection could well have been the anti-d.

I've had it twice, once in bum and once in arm, but just into the muscle of my arm iykwim.

jaydee88 Mon 27-Jul-15 13:30:26

Thankyou so much everyone that's made me feel so much better. It was at the royal hallamshire hospital in Sheffield so I will give them a call... I just didn't want them to think I was questioning their professionalism because I'm not.. I was just terrified that something will go wrong! Xxxxxx

LooseSeal Mon 27-Jul-15 13:38:06

I think you need to contact the clinic and find out if you had an anti D injection. It would be extremely bad on their part if they didn't know your blood type and failed to give you anti D. I seem to remember anti being given to me in the bum, but it's been a while since I had one now.

If they didn't give you anti D though it doesn't mean you can't become pregnant or carry a baby to term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now