Talk

Advanced search

Efficacy of OPKs?

(3 Posts)
Bibitybobity Thu 23-Jul-15 23:39:12

Taking a scientific approach to this conceiving lark for #2 I have been trying ovulation tests. Not one to do things by half I bought cheap strip tests to use between 10am & 8pm and also a clear blue advanced digital opk which is a first pee of the morning test.

I got my first very strong positive on the strip tests which stayed for two days but on the digital test I'm on day 6 of the flashing smiley face (high fertility) with no sign of a static face (peak). I'm running out of digital sticks.

2 questions
1. How likely is ovulation to have occurred if one test clearly detects a surge but the other doesn't?
2. How reliable is the digital test if it's a first pee test when the other test says to avoid the first pee of the day because the substance that suggests the surge isn't as concentrated then?

I should just stick to shagging & hoping for the best but I'm actually really curious about the efficacy of these tests.

Bibitybobity Fri 24-Jul-15 21:20:26

Bump? Anyone?

MrsPCR Sun 26-Jul-15 08:50:00

I don't know about the clear blue proper one, but I used OPKs with temping and got surge in CD4 once. You can have the surge without actually ovulating. You cannot confirm ovulation with OPKs alone. I ovulated either CD13/14 and would get the positive OPK on fmu. If I left it later, I would miss the surge. Then the 3 days of higher temps confirmed it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now