Talk

Advanced search

Starting Clomid without period?

(10 Posts)
SnowBells Thu 23-Jul-15 08:49:49

I've got a prescription for Clomid, and have been waiting for weeks for my period. After having had fairly regular periods last year (never really that regular), it only seems to arrive haphazardly this year. My last one was in May! And the one before that was in February.

Now, I've been told you can take Clomid without your period. Has anyone done that?

SnowBells Sat 25-Jul-15 14:07:55

Bump.

Anyone?

eskimoflo Sat 25-Jul-15 23:09:00

Hi, I've not had a period since coming off the pill (Marvelon) in November. After various scans and tests, they can't find anything wrong except blood tests showing I'm not ovulating. I was prescribed Clomid, 50mg but due to lack of AF, I had to take a course of Norethisterone (progesterone) to induce a withdrawal bleed, as I was told by my consultant that Clomid has to be taken on CD2/3. Unfortunately, the 50mg didn't make me ovulate, so they have now increased the dose to 100mg and I had to take another course of Norethisterone, which I finished a few days ago. I'm just waiting for my bleed so I can start the clomid again. I'm afraid I haven't heard of taking clomid without a period, but if you're not having periods, you can take progesterone pills to bring on a bleed. A GP should give you a prescription no problem. Hope this helps. smile

Earlybird Sat 25-Jul-15 23:14:08

How old are you? Could your irregular periods be caused by being pre-menopausal?

SnowBells Sun 26-Jul-15 20:35:44

AF arrived just after I added my last post! So started today.

Phew.

I think AF became irregular due to a few stressful situations this year (including moving houses, overloaded at work, etc.). I'm 36...

eskimoflo Sun 26-Jul-15 20:49:59

Glad that AF arrived for you. smile I got my withdrawal bleed today too, so will start my clomid tomorrow. We are clomid buddies. grin What dose are you on? x

SnowBells Sun 26-Jul-15 21:35:29

I'm just on 50mg for now. Good luck! smile Let me know how it goes.

Do you get your follicles tracked? I was wondering about that...

eskimoflo Sun 26-Jul-15 22:28:49

Good luck to you too! No, I did ask about follicle tracking, but the consultant said no. I was referred by my GP on the NHS though, not private. hmm

SnowBells Mon 27-Jul-15 00:43:21

I got the prescription from a private gynae consultant. Not sure about the follicle tracking as she's over an hour away from us.

Do you know when you're meant to be feeling the side effects (if any)? I haven't had any so far, but I read that they only materialize later. I'm a little nervous as the next 2 weeks are going to be quite stressful work-wise. God. I hope I don't go clomid-crazy and scream at people!!

eskimoflo Mon 27-Jul-15 14:47:47

When I was on the 50mg, I was a lot more sensitive and had mood swings. I can't remember exactly when, but I think it was when I finished the tablets, which would make sense because they work as blockers to the hormones, so when you stop taking them, you get an influx of hormones! I'm a teacher, so I'm quite glad that I'm on summer holidays for the 100mg and feeling angry sad envy !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now