Talk

Advanced search

Chicken pox and conceiving - advice needed!

(10 Posts)
Flipflop04 Wed 22-Jul-15 13:21:43

Hello!

We've been TTC this week and although I haven't ovulated yet there is a chance that I could still get pregnant from what we have done already.

Now, today my son has come up in what I think are chicken pox spots. His cousin had them last week and unfortunately he must have picked them up. I have had chicken pox as a child so technically I'm immune to it.

I asked my GP before we started TTC if it would be ok and he said yes as you're immune it will be absolutely fine. I rang the midwife today just to check as my son now actually has the spots and she said that it 'should' be ok as I had it before BUT there is a risk and we should stop TTC and we'll just have to wait to see if any baby conceived now will be healthy.

So I've got conflicting views and now of course I'm worried about TTC and a possible baby developing complications due to this.

Does anyone have any advice/experience etc on this? Any midwives or doctors?

Thank you!

UrethraFranklin1 Wed 22-Jul-15 13:34:32

First of all, youre almost certainly immune. Secondly you havent even ovulated,your son will no longer be infectious by the time you could have an implanted embryo....and even if he was infectious and you werent immune, you would be far too early for risk of foetal varicella syndrome, since it wouldnt even be a foetus at that point.

Nothing to worry about. Other than the prospect of seeing that midwife during Pregnancy, since shes very unhelpful!

Flipflop04 Wed 22-Jul-15 13:56:44

Thanks for your reply. There's not much online about it other than in forums like this so its so difficult to get a definitive answer. I suppose it's a grey area.

Is it worth cutting short any further attempts until he's recovered? Or still go for it?

UrethraFranklin1 Wed 22-Jul-15 14:05:24

Its not really a grey area. If he has active chicken pox now he won't be contagious in a week. So what difference could it possibly make to you now, even if you weren't immune, which you almost certainly are?

Flipflop04 Wed 22-Jul-15 14:31:09

Oh right! Why didn't the midwife (and to an extent GP) not tell me this? So does that mean we could go ahead as we were?

UrethraFranklin1 Wed 22-Jul-15 14:46:09

GP told you its fine, he was was right. No idea what your midwife was waffling about ,her response makes no sense. She should know better, hence why I wouldn't be asking her anything again.

jamaisdeux Wed 22-Jul-15 14:51:22

You are immune to CP. You have had it.
That is that!

Flipflop04 Wed 22-Jul-15 16:48:21

So my doctor was right? And I shouldn't listen to a word the midwife said? Is there only a risk to the baby if I myself catch it (if I hadn't already had it)?

UrethraFranklin1 Wed 22-Jul-15 19:41:43

Even if you caught cp now, which you won't, there is no baby to be harmed. You havent even ovulated yet. But since you arent going to get it, whats to worry about?

tobysmum77 Thu 30-Jul-15 21:35:54

Dd1 had chicken pox while I was pregnant with dd2. It happens to loads of people, you are overthinking it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now