Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Breastfeeding and OPKs

(3 Posts)
m33r Tue 14-Jul-15 23:19:07

Looking for wisdom: I am currently EBF my DS but DH and I would like to start ttc no.2 (DS took us a long time with lots of tests and we were just a few days off our IVF appt). I've started using OPKs as I found them really helpful with DS but am not sure if BF affects the results? Does anyone know? I should say I haven't had AF since DS was born.

Thanks!!

MagpieCursedTea Tue 14-Jul-15 23:33:25

Breastfeeding may stop you ovulating but shouldn't effect OPKs working. Best of luck!

AvaAmulet Thu 16-Jul-15 00:23:07

Hi m33r, I didn't have a positive opk until DD was 21 months, even though AF returned at 16 months. A positive opk indicates a surge, but doesn't tell you if you'll definitely go on to ovulate. We have been ttc since DD was 6 months. DD is now almost 27 months and still bf'ing (albeit much less) and were still chasing our bfp. I have found temping and opks to be very helpful and I'm confident that I have been ovulating for the last 6 cycles now (suspect I had anovulatory cycles prior to this) as my positive opks coincide with a temp drop then rise, so I think it's just a matter of time for us now.

There's also a ttc while breastfeeding support thread on here if you'd like to join us - we're all in the same boat. Good luck x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: