Talk

Advanced search

How long can it take ttc

(9 Posts)
londonrach Thu 09-Jul-15 15:24:09

My third month so far ttc number 1 and in the waiting game at the moment prior to af. How long does it take to get pregnant. I know its like asking how long is a piece of string. However its taken years to get to this point and im not young. Does anyone know the average number of months it takes for this inpatient mntter x

RhubarbAndMustard Thu 09-Jul-15 15:29:22

It really is 'how long is a piece of string.' Some conceive straight away and for others it can take years.

One Mnetter said its like throwing a dice and only conceiving if you roll a 6.

sizethree Thu 09-Jul-15 15:32:55

There's some statistics somewhere that most couples will fall pregnant within a year of TTC, and the majority of those will fall pregnant with the first 6 months.
But there are so many factors to consider (age, coming off birth control, weight, partners health etc) that it's tricky to answer oriperly abc depends on the individuals.
You can try ovulayion predictor kits to pinpoint your most fertile days which helps raise your chances. But if you're struggling you can pop to your GP after 6 months avo they can start tests, like checking you're ovulating and a sperm analysis for your partner.
It's such a frustrating experience though!

MamaLazarou Thu 09-Jul-15 15:40:43

It depends on so many factors. It took us 18 months to conceive DS - I was 33 and DH was 34. Now we are 20 months in to ttc #2 and we've had two miscarriages and a chemical pregnancy. Everyone is different.

Good luck, OP x

Junosmum Thu 09-Jul-15 18:22:21

If you're under 30 then 80% of couples fall pregnant in 6 months, 90% in a year and the other 10% within 2 years unless they discover fertility issues. If you are over 30 but under 35 80% fall within 12 months, the other 20 it takes longer/ if at all.

londonrach Thu 09-Jul-15 20:08:02

Just turned 40. :-(

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Thu 09-Jul-15 20:10:35

First, 13 months of actively trying, ovulation kits etc. second conceived when first was 9 months, I was breastfeeding and was on the pill!

heyarnold19 Fri 10-Jul-15 11:28:05

It varies hugely. I'm 33, on cycle 17 ttc #1 and nothing has happened yet. All my preliminary tests (and DP's) don't show anything wrong and I ovulate regularly so it really is a waiting game.

It is frustrating, particularly when you seem to continuously hear stories of people that hit the jackpot after one month - before TTC I honestly thought that it would only take a maximum of 3 months but now (after much research!) I don't think it is unusual for it to take much longer. It just feels like it is easy for everyone else!

Good luck everyone, lets hope we all get there soon x

dizzylemon Tue 14-Jul-15 16:10:33

I've been off the pill 14 months without a whiff of pregnancy. It's taken my friend 3 years unassisted. Another friend had happy accident when she missed a few pills on holiday. It really is that far ranging!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now