Talk

Advanced search

Pregnancy tests - branded/non-branded?

(13 Posts)
Mermaid36 Wed 08-Jul-15 07:32:59

So, what type of tests do you buy? Cheap/expensive? Big brands?

I want to get a couple in (always hopeful!) but there are loads!! Does it make a difference, are some more reliable than others?

00100001 Wed 08-Jul-15 07:40:26

Cheapy strip ones from the internet, they're all much if a muchness, no point paying £8+ for a fancy test You can get 10 stripes for less than £3! I get these types they're just as accurate

Oysterbabe Wed 08-Jul-15 08:19:31

I got the cheap One Step tests and a pack of superdrug's own brand. My One Step test picked up the bfp positive when I tested (1 day after AF was due) and I confirmed it with the superdrug one the next day. I never liked the idea of (literally) pissing my money away testing early with expensive tests.

Oysterbabe Wed 08-Jul-15 08:21:24

These are the ones I got.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highly-Sensitive-Pregnancy-Strips-earlier/dp/B001G61MU4

FernGullysWoollyPully Wed 08-Jul-15 08:25:58

I tend to buy the £3/4 type from local chemists, their own brand ones, just because that's what's convenient to me.
I've used pound shop ones too and they work just as well.

Don't get the point of expensive pregnancy tests. You piss on it, its not like it can be used again! (and as an add on, the clear blue conception indicators thingys should be banned, they just make women worry unnecessarily!)

Rememberallball Wed 08-Jul-15 08:43:20

I pay circa £6 for 50 tests on Amazon. They are 10iu/ml sensitivity which are the ones that show up the smallest amount of hcg in your urine so will show positive earlier. I usually buy them at the same time as opks and they only take a couple of days to get through the post.

Be careful buying in shops to check the sensitivity as many are 25iu/ml hcg or more so not very sensitive - and that includes proprietary brands.

Junosmum Wed 08-Jul-15 10:48:54

The fancy brands are actually less sensitive on the whole than the cheaper one. Pink dye ones tend to be better too.

sebsmummy1 Wed 08-Jul-15 10:52:18

Only problem with buying loads of strip tests is you can go a but mad with them and start pissing in them morning noon and night. I was a long term TTCer and really liked Tesco tests. Although they recently changed them from pink dye to blue dye so I don't know if they are any good anymore.

Superdrug tests were always known to be very sensitive and much cheaper than First Response. Otherwise Poundland does two for a pound.

I used superdrug, superdrug gave me faint positive about 6 days before my period, it really was squinting to see it though. clearblue and clear blue digital didn't show up as positive until 2 days after my period, quite clearly said negative the day before and day of my period!

00100001 Wed 08-Jul-15 11:40:40

a lot of people swear by the poundland ones that seb mentioned smile

Moomin0 Wed 08-Jul-15 12:02:06

I see so many people recommend cheapies from Superdrug, so I guess I'd recommend them to. Of course, I can't advise personally which I find most accurate because I've never been pregnant (as of yet) wink

For me, I always use a ClearBlue digit with weeks indicator, as I like to see my result clearly with words. However, these are quite pricey to keep purchasing whilst TTC and I've heard of people just buying cheapies and if they get a positive one on those, doing a ClearBlue with the weeks indicator, which I think I'll be doing this month.

All the best thanks

GlitzAndGigglesx Wed 08-Jul-15 12:09:20

I've never spent more than £3 on one and they've always been accurate. I got my bfp with tesco's own stick one

tilder Wed 08-Jul-15 12:44:17

Depends how many or how often you are hoping or expecting to test. Plus how easily and quickly you want to get hold of a test. There is a massive difference in cost (especially for those like me who did lots of testing).

Some are more accurate than others as pp has said. Early morning with the first wee of the day is the best time to test. You can get false negatives (generally from testing early in a pg) but not false positives (so check it isn't an evap line.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now