Talk

Advanced search

Am I hoping a little too much?

(9 Posts)
MissCherry8 Thu 02-Jul-15 13:02:29

Hey just need some advice really, I generally track my cycle (I use an app) but more than anything to keep up with my periods as I have had previous problems of being irregular (underactive thyroid). This app also shows up the days when im ovulating and fertile, so when I was ovulating 5 days ago we tried and that was that.

I've only been pregnant once (got to 9w) and I didn't know till 2 weeks before I miscarried but I just remember sore breasts are what alerted me initially. I've tested, but they're the cheap £1 store ones right now as I think it's too early to detect (period due 10 days) but my lower abdomin is cramping like crazy (bad period type cramps) and I have felt terribly nauseous and headachey the last 2 days so I'm off food.

I'm thinking it's all in my head cause I'd like it to happen so much right now, or possibly the apps got my ovulation date wrong and it's what's happening now hence the cramps. I'm just assuming it's too early for these symptoms to be signs I'm pregnant?

Junosmum Thu 02-Jul-15 14:08:14

You could be but like you say it is way too early to test. No more than 4 days before AF is likely to arrive would you get a +ve (well it's really unlikely).

Also, you say you have an underactive thyroid - is it correctly medicated?

MissCherry8 Thu 02-Jul-15 15:43:47

I thought so, DH offered to get me a clear blue one but I think it's a waste.

Yep it is, has been for 4 years and had a blood test 3 months ago that said it was all good with the amount I'm getting now.

OhEmGeee Thu 02-Jul-15 15:46:32

I'm under active thyroid too, do you know what your numbers are? For conception your TSH needs to be on the low side, 2.5 and below.

I got a faint bfp 8dpo, but ten is quite early.

MissCherry8 Thu 02-Jul-15 16:11:25

OhEmGeee I would have no idea, usually I get some snotty nosed secretary telling me "it's fine". My Gp just repeats this (I had doubts as I was so exhausted when I had my last test).

I didn't know about the TSH thing, when I miscarried before I was on the same dose though? I'll have to have another blood test to find out my level.

Preminstreltension Thu 02-Jul-15 16:17:29

You can ask for a print out of your results that comes with the reference range so you can see for yourself. I always do as it's my body and my data - I'm not happy with "all fine" from the receptionist who doesn't know my medical history and doesn't know the latest guidance on TSH etc. I have to pay 20p for the print out!

OhEmGeee Thu 02-Jul-15 16:44:51

Yes to this ^^

You are perfectly entitled to your results, they are yours after all! Ask for a print out. All fine can often mean 'within range' but that doesn't mean it's ideal for TTC.

The NICE guidelines are useful for waving under noses if you have problems.

cks.nice.org.uk/hypothyroidism#!scenario:3

I had a mc between DCs, and my endocrinologist automatically increased my dose.

MissCherry8 Thu 02-Jul-15 16:56:50

I never knew I could if I'm honest, it would help if they were helpful with it as that's what doctors are for! I have a GP appointment next Tuesday for something else so before I go in ill ask for a print out or if they can tell me.

Also thanks for the link, I wasn't aware how it would effect me If I did conceive or try but I knew I'd have to go over it with my doctor though so this really helps.

MissCherry8 Fri 03-Jul-15 12:00:15

Sorry to bump this but my curiosity got the better of me and I called my surgery apparently when I got tested in March my THS level was 0.9 but she could find my FT4.

I've gone over it in my brain and I can't believe my doctor didn't increase my dose before when she knew I was pregnant and when I miscarried nothing was said. Feel kinda let down by her after know this now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now