Talk

Advanced search

TTC and lowering thyroid medication, thoughts please

(9 Posts)
pinkdaffodil23 Thu 02-Jul-15 10:51:05

Hi I'm 24 and TTC no 1, I've been on thyroxine for at least 8 years.
I went to see my doctor last week as I've been feeling a bit tired and I know you need your thyroid levels stable when ttc.
The nurse has just rang me and asked me to lower my dosage, she couldn't say what my levels were though, she was just passing on the message from my doctor and I can't speak to him until next week. Feeling really anxious about lowering as don't want to make it even harder to concieve. Scared now if I try at what I am at ill be doing harm but at the same time I'm scared if I lower it I will be doing harm. Feel so confused. What would you do

Flossieflower01 Thu 02-Jul-15 10:53:41

Your tsh needs to be under 2, ideally a und 1 if you're Ttc. Get the actual numbers from the doctor (the receptionist should print them out for you, you don't need to make an appointment) and make a decision from there!

pinkdaffodil23 Thu 02-Jul-15 10:56:08

Didn't know the receptionist could print them out, might try that when I put the prescription up, knowing my luck though they will say there unable to

pinkdaffodil23 Thu 02-Jul-15 10:57:17

I've just looked at over active thyroid and that can cause infertility, do also weary of taking to much but have never felt like I am :/

OhEmGeee Thu 02-Jul-15 15:49:20

Don't lower your dose without knowing what you results are, which as a pp said, you're perfectly entitled to. Your TSH needs to be low.

OhEmGeee Thu 02-Jul-15 15:51:52

Oh and make sure if you do get pregnant you get your bloods checked very trimester and get your thyroxine increased to compensate for baby.

cks.nice.org.uk/hypothyroidism#!scenario:3

The above might help for when you see your GP. I've got two healthy DC and am hypo.

pinkdaffodil23 Thu 02-Jul-15 18:00:27

Well as thought popped in and asked the receptionist for a print out and she said she was unable to do that for me I'd need to have a telephone appointment with the doctor and get him to print it off

pinkdaffodil23 Fri 03-Jul-15 10:57:31

Well my tsh was unmeasurable, my t4 was 35 and my t3 was normal

pinkdaffodil23 Fri 03-Jul-15 11:07:07

Although I've just read the pill can affect t4 and raise it. When I had the blood test I had been on the pill for 3 weeks. Do you think the pill could of still effected my results. I've got a blood test to go back in 8 weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now