Talk

Advanced search

TTC step 1 - implant removal. Now what?

(11 Posts)
MrsRiggins Wed 01-Jul-15 18:38:23

Hey y'all,

I've just started my TTC journey by having my contraceptive implant removed today grin. It's been a great contraceptive for me, and gave me the freedom of having no periods during the 3 years (x3) that I've used it! However... that makes it tricky now that I'm hungry for information to help boost my TTC chances.

1] I've read that my fertility should return within 24-48 hrs post-removal. I've read some people's comments that the removal often prompts OV within a few days - can anyone confirm?

2] Otherwise, am I dependent on AF to kick-start my observations of cycles...etc?

Any advice or experiences of TTC after implant removal would be welcome! smile

cocopops88 Wed 01-Jul-15 19:45:18

I haven't had a great time since having my implant removed.
I chose the implant due to quick return of fertility etc, but have not found that to be the case.
Same as you I had no bleeding whilst I had the implant, it was removed beginning of December 14, I had no bleeding at all until mid may, where I had about 6 days, about 3 days after that i started bleeding again, which remained constant for almost 3 weeks. After a visit to the doctors and Norithisterone? the bleeding stopped, then I had about 3 more days of it. Haven't bled about 10 days now so hoping I am returning to normal and can start TTC.. hope your journey is better than mine.

MrsRiggins Wed 01-Jul-15 19:52:55

I was also bought into the advantage of my fertility bouncing back after the implant, sorry to hear it's taken a while for you. Fingers crossed you're now in a good cycle smile

ktkaye Wed 01-Jul-15 19:55:21

There seems to be such a lot of variation in when things go back to normal ... Some women ov and AF comes back within a month, others (like me and the previous poster) it takes longer which can be disheartening. I had mine out in March and am still waiting for my periods to return. We have stopped TTC for now because I was finding it v upsetting wondering whether I was pregnant and subsequently having lots of negative tests. So now waiting for my hormones to kick start, then I'll probably use Ovia to help track my cycles. That said, plenty of women have posted on here to say they got pregnant straight away without a period! It depends how involved you want to be... Clear blue digital ovulation kits are good and will let you know when you ovulate xx

MrsRiggins Wed 01-Jul-15 20:06:01

I wonder if there is any link between not having AF when on the implant and it taking longer to return to 'normal' once removed... shrug

Mother nature is a tricky lady! Thanks ktkaye. I guess I'll have to wait and see... good luck smile

ktkaye Wed 01-Jul-15 22:30:37

You know what, I was wondering exactly the same thing. Maybe our bodies were just v asleep and will take a while to set themselves out? Fingers crossed. MyCM has definitely changed (tmi) never used to get any really while I was on the implant and now it's coming back like I remember it was before I had any contraception. Maybe is just v dusty and dry desert up there haha!!! I read somewhere that the implant stops your uterine lining from filling v much at all, so when you come off the hormones, your body has to get rid of everything still in your system, realise that everything needs balancing again and then your uterus has to fill up again,
Bit like an empty swimming pool. I guess it just all takes a while. confused xx

purplesnail Wed 01-Jul-15 22:42:11

I think there must be a link. I always had AF with implant, I had inplant removed and AF came 2 days later. I then got pregnant straight away

Rickalicious Thu 02-Jul-15 09:39:07

I had my implant removed last June knowing that I wanted to TTC this summer and it had come to the end of its 3 year life so I didn't see the point in having another put back in.

I didn't have AF throughout the 3 years of the implant until 6 months before it came out, then again a couple of weeks before I had it taken out. Since its been out I've had fairly regular 28/29 days cycles.

I do have a friend who was on the implant for about 9 years and the pill before that, it took a while for her AF to return but I do wonder if it was the pill before the implant that messed it all up and the implant just delayed it.

ktkaye Fri 03-Jul-15 06:51:31

Out of interest how long did it take your friend's AF to come back? I was on the pill before the implant too and wondered whether that had had an impact xx

Rickalicious Fri 03-Jul-15 11:46:28

I haven't spoke to her about it in a while as she's not actively TTC so not concerned yet but it was 9 months when I spoke to her about it, am not sure what has happened since then.

Everyone is different though so there will be several different factors for each individual person. Fingers crossed yours returns soon!

jellybelly85 Sat 18-Jul-15 11:28:03

Hi ladies,

I'm in the same boat. In the absence of AF I've started using ovulation kits. Is anyone else? Is this sensible, or should I just wait for AF?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now