Talk

Advanced search

New to TTC, want to hide Caffeine and Alcohol cuts!

(11 Posts)
an0nan0nan0n Mon 22-Jun-15 09:52:53

Hello everyone. My husband and I have just started TTC.
I have 100's of questions, but 1st things 1st...

I don't want to tell anyone that we are TTC, so does anyone have any tips on hiding or explaining my cutting of caffeine and alcohol?
I don't drink much alcohol so am being designated driver a lot at the moment, then I will do 'dry July' but then what?
I'm going on a big holiday in Sept catching up with a lot of old friends and family... a lot of pubs will be involved! I'm almost tempted to put TTC on hold until after the holiday but I'm 33 and keen to get going.
I'm usually a big coffee and tea drinker so I am missing that, just 1 cup of tea or coffee a day!
Has anyone else had this problem or am I being weird trying to hide TTC?
Thanks for reading!

Oysterbabe Mon 22-Jun-15 11:46:39

You can drink while trying to conceive just not while pregnant. If you want to be super careful then you just need to avoid drinking for the week before your period is due, but even then is probably fine, any embryo would be nourished by the yolk sack and is not attached to your blood supply.
Decaf tea and coffee is actually not bad.

Withalittlesparkle Mon 22-Jun-15 11:54:33

I agree with oyster, you can drink while ttc, it could be a while before anything happens. But maybe just reduced the amount you drink?

DizzyNorthernBird Mon 22-Jun-15 12:50:09

So if you're doing a dry July anyway why not just tell people you enjoyed being off the drink and don't need it any more? I rarely drink myself and I can never understand why others put so much pressure on those around them to drink when they are. Pretend you're on some kind of a health kick (which you kind of are anyway). September isn't too far away and it'll still be early days in your ttc journey, so if you aren't already pg then it's not going to hurt If you did want a drink on your hols. Don't put fun on hold for getting pg because there's always a chance it might not happen straight away!

Oh and decaf tea is fine smile, I have two cups of normal in the mornings then switch over to decaf.

DelphiniumStar Mon 22-Jun-15 14:15:09

You don't have to go dry while ttc but if you want to I suggest you say you are doing it for health reasons, which is true...

Good luck! I'm not a tea or coffee drinker and only occasionally drink lots of booze, but I appreciate you want to hide it. My friends currently give a silent sigh of relief every time they see me drinking...

Rememberallball Mon 22-Jun-15 14:54:06

If you don't want to cut out coffee/tea completely, could you try disguising decaf versions as regular drinks? If you do want to cut them out, why not just say you're on a bit of a health kick and cutting down on 'addictive' products such as caffeine, chocolate, alcohol?

Vap0 Mon 22-Jun-15 21:52:21

an0 don't put life on hold! I'm in month 21 ttc no 1 and have guilted myself into various regimes of not drinking, no caffeine, staying away from circumstances where i would normally drink due to the constant questions, pressure to drink, funny looks. All of which just make the stress of not conceiving and the disappointment every month even worse. Of course I'm sure you won't be a long timer like me, and hope you get caught quickly. Good luck with it all flowers

oyster Hi, I think I've seen you in other threads over the past few months. Tell me more about drinking in early pregnancy? As much as I like to preach about not putting life on hold and have decided this month it is life as usual until I get my bfp I can't help but feel guilty when I pop open a bottle. Of course the second I have a squinter of a + I'll not touch a drop for months but in the mean time.... Is it safe to drink before you get your bfp?

Vap0 Mon 22-Jun-15 21:57:48

Sorry, I didn't actually answer the question

Tooth abscess with antibiotics is a good one for maybe a hen do or big night out which I'll be using if I'm lucky enough to get caught this cycle. Although this is a one off, possibly a double use as you could have further problems.

In fact anything requiring antibiotics?

Or you could be on a diet?

I don't know if cutting out caffeine would be as noticeable as the booze situation but going decaf people may not notice if you switch to fruit teas because you have a new found love for them or just a general health kick?

Oysterbabe Mon 22-Jun-15 22:20:41

I think that before the baby implants it's not going to be effected by alcohol in your blood, and probably for a few days after that too. To start with the embryo grows using energy from the yolk sack until it attaches and forms some connections.
I'm sure it's safe to have a few drinks until you get your positive.
I went on honeymoon and drank every day then went straight on a hen weekend. I must have been about 5DPO then. Got my BFP a week later. My doctor said not to worry about it and it won't have harmed the baby. It must happen so often when people drink when they don't know they're pregnant.
I'm not saying it's a good thing but you can't put your life on hold, TTC can take a looooong time.

an0nan0nan0n Tue 23-Jun-15 10:35:22

Thanks everyone for your lovely helpful comments. A good mix of strategies I can use here and its good to hear that a bit of alcohol is OK. I'm going to make an appointment to see a GP soon so will talk more about safe levels. I actually really dislike decaff drinks but reckon I could find a few herbal teas I like. Thanks again! smile

Vap0 Tue 23-Jun-15 11:06:17

Try jasmine, it's lovely, still has some caffeine as it is a green tea but much lower levels smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now