Line query...please help

(11 Posts)
Babycakes100 Thu 18-Jun-15 10:27:36

I was just wondering whether LH is present for the whole cycle? I know that you get a surge right before ovulation which shows as a dark line on ovulation tests, but I wondered whether there would be times in your cycle where no line would appear at all? Any clarification on this would be much appreciated smile

Oysterbabe Thu 18-Jun-15 12:03:51

I sometimes get no line.

hethajf Thu 18-Jun-15 12:22:01

I've never had a positive ovulation test!

chandelierswinger Thu 18-Jun-15 12:49:10

I seem to have LH present rather a lot in my cycle, so keeping an eye out for the surge can be difficult! (I have PCOS and know that can affect it...) That said I have had some days where there is nothing at all, nada. HTH.

Babycakes100 Thu 18-Jun-15 13:01:04

Ah, thank you all for your responses! I have faint lines but I haven't had a period in 7 months sad For the past few weeks I have been having 'period pain' literally all day but no period. I don't get what is going on with my body! Docs said I am probably still ovulating. I have only recently started ov testing so will continue and see if the lines get any darker.

Babycakes100 Thu 18-Jun-15 13:04:08

Since I posted that I've dashed to the bathroom and I have really, really light brown CM so I think I might be coming on. I really really hope so as that means I might be able to come closer to knowing when I can conceive. grin

Rememberallball Thu 18-Jun-15 13:08:41

Some people have enough LH to produce feint lines throughout their cycle but a test is only positive if the test line is the same shade as the control line or darker.

Sometimes the test will only show the control line because there is insufficient LH to be picked up - you need a specific amount to cause a reaction.

Niw comes the kicker - just because you get a surge of LH it doesnt mean you will actually ovulate only that it should hapoen within the next 1-2 days. I've been having LH surges but my d21 progesterone level is indicating that I'm not ovulating.

Babycakes100 Thu 18-Jun-15 13:10:58

Thanks Rememberallball, I didn't know that! That's definitely something to bear in mind. How do you monitor your progesterone level?

Babycakes100 Thu 18-Jun-15 13:23:24

OMG I have got my period [girn] grin grin. im sooooooooooo happy! I know that's not the normal reaction when it happens on here but i finally know where I am at and can start trying properly this month! SOOOO excited. Cam't wait to tell DH grin

Rememberallball Thu 18-Jun-15 13:33:59

Progesterone levels can only be monitored by a blood test. Usually done on day 21 of your cycle - or, as my GP says, more accurately should be 7 days before AF is due and they use a 28 day cycle as standard so most people get bloods done on d21 unless you know your cycle is longer.

As you've been without a period for so many months it would be difficult to say how long your cycle will settle down to so would aim for d21 after start of AF.

Hope that all makes sense!!

Babycakes100 Thu 18-Jun-15 13:42:46

Ah, thank you Rememberallball! Yes if things don't start to settle down in this cycle (also depending on the results of my blood tests) I will start get my progesterone levels monitored. I'm going use the digital ov tests this month to try and track it. I started taking sevenseas trying for a baby pills 2 days ago. It will probably be too soon for them to have made any difference but I kind of feel like they are miracle pills for bringing on my period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now