Talk

Advanced search

Ovulation worries & no rise in temperature

(14 Posts)
HannahFlo Tue 16-Jun-15 08:41:54

Hi ladies!

I need some advice!!!

I'm on my 2nd cycle since coming off the pill & currently on day 17th. My first cycle was 34 days & if this cycle is the same then I'm due to ovulate now. I did a opk test on Sunday & it was positive, yesterday morning too came back positive but yesterday pm and today negative. I track my temp & have done the first cycle which was totally all over the place & so far it hasn't risen??

I was treatment for PCOS a few years ago & I had my cysts removed, got pregnant but it resulted in a miscarriage at 8 weeks. This is the first time since then I've been off the pill & ready to start again.

I Am so worried that I'm not ovulating due to no rise? I also have been checking my cervical mucus, some signs but not a lot (I don't think)
Should I go to the doctors now & see what's happening due to my history or do I just wait??

Anyone else had this? Or experienced something similar?

Xx

jigglywiggly Tue 16-Jun-15 09:12:54

How are you recording your temps? Is it a proper basal thermometer? You don't need a huge rise in temperature , only 0.02 . Are you using fertility friend at all?

Oysterbabe Tue 16-Jun-15 09:13:30

See what your temp does tomorrow. You normally ovulate within 48 hours of a positive opk.

willitbe Tue 16-Jun-15 09:36:34

If your last cycle was 34 days and this month is the same, and you have a standard 14 day lp, then you would not be ovulating til the cd 20, three days away.

However since it is only your second cycle off the pill, there is really no way of predicting when you might ovulate.

You need to just dtd every other day if possible. When you get a positive opk, try to dtd every day for 4 days, but you might get a few positive opk's before you ovulate (opk's are not as accurate with PCOS).

With temping, if your temps are fluctuating so much that you can't get a good measure, you might have to think about switching to vaginal temping. Are you on fertilityfriends.com? They have good information there.

With regards to going to the doctors, they may tell you to try a bit longer while the pill gets out of your system, or they may be more pro-active for you. Would depend on the doctor you managed to see. If you are under 35 they will probably say wait and try a few more months.

novinophobia Tue 16-Jun-15 10:10:46

Hi Hannah, I think the OPK is probably more reliable than the temperature, especially if your temp has been all over the place. If your OPK shows a rise, there's a good chance you have ovulated so time to do the deed!

If you have PCOS though, there's a chance you might still get the LH rise without ovulation - I think a blood test on day 21 would tell you whether you have ovulated or not

My advice is to dtd, wait a couple of weeks and see what happens. If you have a couple of months where you get a rise on the OPK and no BFP, might be worth the GP checking your day 21 progesterone to see if you are actually ovulating

Vino x

jigglywiggly Tue 16-Jun-15 10:40:51

The OPK will only show a LHASA surge, not that you have you have ovulated so a temp rise would be more reliable. You can have an LH surge and not ovulate.
I do agree though if you have only just come off the pill it could take a few cycles for you to regulate and settle down.

jigglywiggly Tue 16-Jun-15 10:42:11

an LH surge

HannahFlo Tue 16-Jun-15 10:46:08

Thanks all!

I'm using just a mouth temperature thing which I brought from the internet. For my first cycle I was using a old one hence why I think it was very was eratic. This month it's pretty much the same temperature every day?

We had sex everyday over the weekend as it was my 30th yesterday smile but my partner has gone back to base (he's in the navy) but should he home on Thursday so maybe we can catch my ovulation then?

Xx

jigglywiggly Tue 16-Jun-15 11:43:03

To accurately temp you need a basal thermometer, one that gives you two numbers after the decimal point Eg 36.42, temperature rise can be so slight you really need to be very accurate.
However if you just carry in having regular sex then you will no doubt catch ovulation at some point!!

HannahFlo Tue 16-Jun-15 17:24:16

Jiggle: my temp thing shows 36.1 or something like that. Would you suggest me getting anything one? X

HannahFlo Tue 16-Jun-15 17:27:56

Sod it...just brought a Basel thermometer with 2 decimal points. Fingers crossed!

jigglywiggly Tue 16-Jun-15 19:49:35

Hannah , yes for accurate charting you need a basal one. You might find for example that your temp pre ovulation might be 36.20 but after might be 36.24, 36.26 etc and that rise is enough to show ovulation!
If you use fertility friend to chart then that will track ov for you. It's free too for the basic sign up. Don't forget you can always check for other signs of Ov too such as cervical mucus, and position of cervix.

willitbe Wed 17-Jun-15 00:06:26

I managed to successfully chart using a thermometer only accurate to one decimal point for years, but it is nice to have that extra decimal point to see prettier graphs!!!!

Jiggly - you need to re-read fertility friend it is not 0.02 rise but 0.2 Celsius rise or more that usually shows ovulation (can be as low as 0.1). You can use a normal thermometer (as I did for years) it is just better with a more accurate one. Sorry to contradict you but it is what fertility friend.com says !

jigglywiggly Wed 17-Jun-15 05:19:45

Ok, my literature is different but I know fertility friend is good too. I used it a lot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now