Talk

Advanced search

Short Luteal Phase

(30 Posts)
mrsmugoo Mon 15-Jun-15 11:12:50

I know there have been many threads on this in the past (I've searched and read them all) but there hasn't been a live one for some time so thought it might be good to see if other current posters are going through the same thing right now.

I'm trying for #2 and although have only tried actively for 3 cycles, have charted for 8. My cycles are generally 26-28 days long and I ovulate on around day 18 or 19. My LP has been between 7-9 days. I use OPKs and temping.

I've been taking high strength Vit B complex for ages and last cycle I tried Soy Isoflavones which brought my ovulation day forward to day 17 which I was over the moon with, but then AF arrived on day 23 giving me the crappest LP ever of only 6 days and I was gutted.

I have a doctors appointment on Thursday of this week but I'm nervous because I've read so much online about how GPs give you the brush off with regards to short Luteal Phases and they simply tell you it's fine, as long as you ovulate you can conceive. Which obviously isn't the case.

I'm 35 and I feel like I don't have loads of time left to just "wait and see" if my LP lengthens on it's own but I just don't know what the options are? I'd be willing to go private if necessary. It's not just a case of being impatient about conceiving, if my LP was a normal length then after only 3 cycles of actively trying I wouldn't be concerned in the slightest yet, but the way things are I just feel like I'm pissing in the wind.

Anyone else going through / been through this and what were the outcomes?

RalucaMorena Mon 15-Jun-15 21:13:41

Hi Mugoo!
Just realised today that last monthi had 10 day lp. This month I ovulate in cd 17-18 and worried about it. I will soon be 37 and hoping it's not too late for baby#2. I started on maca root and so far I noticed a bit more of cm (last month I had extremely little) and hope my lp goes back to normal 12-14 days. I didn't have all these problems with ds but then again that was 9 years ago. By all means it is important as implantation it usually on 7-12 dpo so go to doc and ask for some tests. If my lp stays short I will also go.

AnathemaPratchett Mon 15-Jun-15 21:18:54

Well I conceived twice with a Luteal phase of 10-11 days (one miscarriage), and then due to breastfeeding said "baby" (didn't get cycles back until she was nearly 2) my Luteal phase shortened further to 8-9 days!
I then ate marmite every day for a month and conceived dd2 that month.
Still breastfeeding both and having Luteal phase of 8-9 days again - and I'm now in my 40s, so time pressure is really on for catching dc3! smile
I've just started yesterday with the marmite grin

mrsmugoo Tue 16-Jun-15 07:59:28

What's in marmite that helps? Is it vitamin b6? I'm already taking a supplement of that.

From what I can gather, 10 days is the absolute minimum LP needed for successful implantation, as a fertilised egg implants on day 9/10 and obviously if your uterus lining has already started to break down and come away then you've got no chance of getting a BFP.

AnathemaPratchett Tue 16-Jun-15 12:52:12

B12 mainly plus thiamin and niacin and riboflavin

RalucaMorena Tue 16-Jun-15 13:30:58

What does marmite taste like? I didn't have the guts to try after my husband said it's disgusting. But then again he says the same about spinach. ..

mrsmugoo Tue 16-Jun-15 14:02:02

If you take a vitamin b complex supplement it contains all the b vitamins anyway.

RalucaMorena Tue 16-Jun-15 16:26:38

My multivitamin has b1, b6, b2 and b12 100% of daily recommended dose. Should I up it?

SaulGood Tue 16-Jun-15 16:33:38

My luteal phase was 9 days when I conceived my youngest. 10-16 days is considered normal but it doesn't actually imply that you need a minimum of 10 days. My friend has recently been through fertility tests/investigations (problem firmly with her DH it turns out) and has a luteal phase of 8 days. She has just had her 12 week scan. smile Her team concentrated on the problems with her DH and weren't immediately concerned about her luteal phase. With good reason it turns out.

However, if your cycles seem to be irregular, you're 35 and you're concerned, I do think seeing your GP is a good idea.

SaulGood Tue 16-Jun-15 16:45:12

The other thing to note is that I always tested positive on 9dpo when pregnant. Implantation occurred a few days before this obviously.

RalucaMorena Tue 16-Jun-15 18:46:12

Hi Saul,
I didn't have problems before mc2 . And to be totally honest I only noticed this last month but if this happens again I will definitely go see the gp.

mrsmugoo Tue 16-Jun-15 19:03:11

Well 9 has been my highest and if it was consistently 9 I wouldn't mind so much but 7 has been the most common and now 6. That's too short to conceive.

SaulGood Tue 16-Jun-15 19:16:55

As I said mrsmugoo, I think with your history and the marked irregularity, you should see your GP. I was just clarifying that 10 is not "the absolute minimum" you need for a successful pregnancy as you mentioned above. Just thought it worth pointing it out for anybody else who is using MN/this thread. Less than 10 is considered short but it's not an automatic barrier to conception. Each case has to be taken on its own merits though and a short luteal phase can be indicative of other problems so it is often part of a bigger picture which absolutely should be considered.

All the very best with it. I hope your GP is helpful on Thursday.

Mrsbadger77 Tue 16-Jun-15 19:46:30

Rather than worrying about yourLP I would get your progesterone levels checked. That's what really matters

mrsmugoo Tue 16-Jun-15 21:44:23

Well yes that is the implication. I hope I can get the opportunity to get my progesterone levels checked and fixed if too low.

mrsmugoo Tue 16-Jun-15 21:46:11

Saulgood thank you for the clarification. You're right there is no hard and fast minimum but my irregularity and age have definitely been factors for me in deciding to progress to a GP appt.

Twinwife Tue 16-Jun-15 21:52:37

Hi,
If it's any reassurance my LP is 8/9 days and I ovulate on day 18. I have a DS who is 2 who was conceived after 3 months and am 15 weeks with #2, conceived after 6 months . Dates from my scan confirm ovulation on day 18. I was getting worried with #2 and struggled to find any positive stories online

mrsmugoo Tue 16-Jun-15 22:06:31

Twinwife thank you that's very reassuring!

RalucaMorena Wed 17-Jun-15 09:27:42

Ooh! Good to know!

smellsofelderberries Wed 17-Jun-15 18:00:21

My LP is 10 days, so not terrible but I would like to see it longer. I will be taking a B6 vitamin (the 50mg one from H&B) alongside my regular B vitamin complex after ovulation this cycle. 100% RDA of B6 probably won't be enough to help as it's only 1.3ish mg. some women take up to 100mg daily! shock but YMMV.

mrsmugoo Wed 17-Jun-15 18:21:23

I've been taking 100mg for about 3 months.

smellsofelderberries Wed 17-Jun-15 18:21:25

Also, B6 can delay ovulation in some people so try only taking it from O day onwards b

RalucaMorena Wed 17-Jun-15 19:48:42

Does vit b complex make you hungry by chance?

mrsmugoo Thu 18-Jun-15 12:37:52

So had my doctors appt today. A horribly patronising experience.

I got the outcome I wanted - a day 21 blood test to check progesterone levels - but only got this because I specifically asked for it.

Was basically told by the doctor to stop " worrying about the minutiae" and that tracking every last detail wouldn't help me. I just need to go off and have "plenty of sex around the middle of my cycle" (even though I told her I don't ovulate in the middle of my cycle)

She asked how I even knew about luteal phases (errr, biology) and at even the slightest whiff that I may have gained information from the Internet implied I'm just being neurotic.

I know the NHS is over stretched and everyone can't just walk in and self diagnose using Google and expect to be taken seriously but I didn't really expect to be brushed off on quite such an epic scale.

Well I got the blood test anyway so whatevs.

chandelierswinger Thu 18-Jun-15 12:46:58

Ugh, this winds me up so much. Sympathy and brew to you mrsmugoo Drs with this type of attitude literally drive me up the wall. Unfortunately for her (and fortunately for you), information about ttc is readily available now, not just on the internet! That kind of scathing attitude that a so called professional has is just simply not helpful. Tracking does help; knowledge is power. Ignore her and crack on. Glad you got the bloods ordered though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now