No ovulation postive, late period

(4 Posts)
Helskitty Sun 07-Jun-15 13:46:20

Hi there. My OH and I have been trying to conceive our first now and it's been 9 months. I've discovered I have and irregular cycle from 27 days to 35 days so decided to try ovulation tests. I had a positive last month around day 20 and my period came on day 32 (32 seems to be my standard period length, I've had this 4 out of the 8 months). This month I didn't get a positive at all, I am on day 34 so my period may still come tomorrow but I normally get an ache the day before it comes which hasn't happened. I tried an opk test this morning and it came out positive, is it possible to ovulate more that two weeks late? I took another this afternoon and it came out negative which is what you'd expect. I really don't think I'm pregnant as OH and I haven't really been trying the month (lots of family visiting and thin walls) so don't really want to waste a test until I am really late, I haven't had any other symptoms. But I guess my question is, is it possible to ovulate two weeks late? Should I see my doctor, they're pretty strict about the 1 year rule but with such irregular periods I might need clomid to conceive.

MrsPCR Sun 07-Jun-15 14:23:57

Yes you could ovulate this late but normally, cycles don't suddenly extend by 2 weeks. There's some thing about positive opks being due to pregnancy. Do you not have any internet cheapo tests? Pound land do 2 packs. Or supermarket ones tend only to be £3.50 ish (I believe) so not too expensive for a one off to put your mind at rest. If I were you, I'd get some internet cheapie for the future. Mine are pros 20p a test so if I want to test early, I can. Strangely just knowing they are there has stopped m e desperately wanting to test as I did while waiting for them to be delivered.

MrsPCR Sun 07-Jun-15 14:25:10

Oh and sometimes you can miss the surge with OPks. I did last month, but my temperature rise confirmed it.

Helskitty Sun 07-Jun-15 17:05:08

Thanks MrsPCR, I caved and decide to take a test this afternoon in the end and it was BFN. Not sure why I would ovulate so late, but I did think I might have just missed the surge but it's weird that AF hasn't come yet or at least any sign of it. I guess me and OH could still try, if it is late ovulation then me might still get something from it and if not I'll hopefully get an appointment with my doctor and see if we can figure out what's going on. Thank you for your advice. I know what you mean about wanting to test, I've gone through so many tests hoping for the BFP only to be disappointed, trying to be stricter on my self to not go through the stress of it. Best of luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now