Talk

Advanced search

How long before TTC should I come off the pill

(4 Posts)
ThePartyArtist Mon 01-Jun-15 09:20:42

Can anyone advise on whether I should come off the pill now or when I want to conceive?

I am hoping to start TTC in the next 12 months, by which time I will be 30 / 31. It will be first time trying. I have been on the pill for about 9 years. DH and I have no (known) fertility problems, both normal weight and healthy, non-smoking. I have heard conflicting advice about whether to come off the pill when you want to conceive, or if it's better to do it a few months before you want to conceive, to help hormones settle down and spot symptoms like irregular periods which can be a sign of things like Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Imnotaslimjim Mon 01-Jun-15 09:27:01

For me, the first time I came off the pill it took me over a year to get pregnant

The 2nd time however, I only had one cycle after the end of my pill packet before getting a positive. Apparently there is a surge straight after stopping the pill so its easier to get pregnant that first month

bourbondreams Mon 01-Jun-15 10:39:18

After stopping my pill which I have been on for 10year (with a gap about 3 years before finally stopping in Jan) and it took me 4 months before I had a period after the normal pill break bleed.

When i had stopped it before, it didn't take as long as was 1 month out.

I would say there are benefits to stopping it before you plan - in case it does take more than a month to get it back to normal, as you can start noticing your cycle and body and how it acts before you ttc.

But really its up to you, I know that if I had known it would take me so long for it to all start getting to normal, I would have stopped mine a lot sooner.

Everyone is different with how their body reacts after though, so some will get it back within a month, others a lot longer, and the docs won't do anything until its been 6 months.

GotTheKey Tue 02-Jun-15 20:25:33

I came off the pill 10 months before we started trying, purely because I wanted it out of my system. I tracked my periods during that time and fell pregnant the first month that we 'tried'! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now