Talk

Advanced search

Trying for a year and feeling down

(12 Posts)
Patientlywaiting1984 Sat 30-May-15 18:55:28

Hi all,

My husband and I have been TTC for about a year now and I made an appointment with my doctor for this coming Friday. I was just wondering if any of you know what to expect? Will they initially just tests on me or will they do a semen analysis for my husband at the same time? Will they do any kind of pelvic examination at the first meeting?

Patientlywaiting1984 Sat 30-May-15 18:56:31

Oops... Stupid iPhone!

Sorry... I was trying to type 'any advice would be really appreciated' and managed to hit 'send'.

Thanks ladies. This TTC business is very stressful isn't it? confused

battenberg123 Sat 30-May-15 19:22:44

Hello! I think the first step will be some hormone tests, not sure about semen analysis. Not likely to have a pelvic examination at the first appointment. Expect lots of questions at this stage. Good luck flowers

heyarnold19 Sat 30-May-15 19:41:15

Hi patiently, I'm going through this right now so thought I'd share. I was sent for blood tests on day 2-5, and on day 21 and then for an ultra sound. DH is having a semen analysis in a week and then we have been advised to book a joint dr's appointment to go through all the results together. Good luck x

AttilaTheMeerkat Sat 30-May-15 19:44:07

Usually the first meeting is a chat about your medical histories and in your case too your menstrual history. Both of you should attend this appointment if at all possible. Such appointments can feel very daunting and nerve wracking, you can give the other moral support if you are both there.

I would also suggest you write down any questions you want to ask well ahead of time and ask them during this meeting. No question is daft and you do not want to leave there thinking, "oh I should have asked about...".

They should tell you what tests they will be performing as well as WHY they are being performed. If they do not tell you then ask. Your tests should be done in tandem; its no point at all in solely testing you first then he at a far later date. It is vital that you can work as a team, also continuity of care is vitally important too.

You need a diagnosis first and foremost.

SweepTheHalls Sat 30-May-15 19:48:19

Nothing very helpful to add, but I am currently 9 weeks with a little been that I waited 2 and a half years for so there is always hope flowers

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Sat 30-May-15 19:50:11

I don't have any advice re tests but just to let you know my 1st was conceived on our 14th month of trying. No issues, it just took a while! Currently pregnant with my second, conceived whilst on the mini pill and breastfeeding my first... Sometimes it just takes a bit longer than expected. Best of luck xx

HootyMcTooty Sat 30-May-15 19:52:38

Firstly I just want to say that a year really isn't a long time when it comes to TTC, even though to you it feels like an eternity.

First appointment will just be a medical history and setting up appointments for you to have 2 sets of bloods done at different stages of your cycle and your partner will need to set up an appointment for a first semen analysis. It's a pretty long stretch until any invasive investigations take place, if they happen at all (though you may have to have a swab taken, it's like a smear test but not quite as bad).

Good luck, it's so frustrating. If it helps at all it took me over 2 years (male factor issues) then, after our first, our second came by happy accident blush. Life can be very random sometimes.

Patientlywaiting1984 Sun 31-May-15 08:53:14

Thank you all! I feel better now, knowing what to expect! It doesn't seem too daunting either. Congratulations to those of your who got your BFPs- you've made me realise that there may not be anything wrong, it may just take a while.

Thank you!!!!

susurration Tue 02-Jun-15 12:59:29

My only advice would be to try not to let anything overwhelm you too much. It might be something or nothing and either way there is always something that can be done to help you.

Good luck, I hope it all goes ok for you.

R0ckCh1c Tue 02-Jun-15 14:02:10

My partner and I are going through the same. Have been TTC since April 2014. I've had internal scan & blood tests which have come back saying I have PCOS. My partner has had a semen test but luckily he came normal so just myself to work on. I have since been given pills which is meant to help me ovulate monthly (sometimes my cycle was up to 64 days!). I'm on my first month of pills & am waiting more blood tests... So fingers crossed this works!

Good luck & best wishes hun xx

YouBoggleMyMind Mon 15-Jun-15 17:12:03

I also have an appointment with my Husband on Friday morning to discuss next steps as we've also been trying for a year. I was diagnosed with PCOS in Dec 2011 so i'm pretty sure it's me that's the issue but they like to test everything. Best of luck on Friday and let us know how it goes! Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now