Talk

Advanced search

Normal 'period' but BFP on CD8!

(27 Posts)
ArghWhatOnEarthsGoingOn Thu 28-May-15 23:38:56

Hello, we're trying for another baby. I tested on 12dpo of last cycle but it was a BFN. Then my period came, right on the day it was due, of normal length and duration so I rather reasonably thought that was that for that cycle. Have been spotting though for the last few days though which is a bit unusual.

I've been doing OPKs the last few days in anticipation of ovulation coming and I kept getting strong positives which I thought was v strange. Thought I should do a pregnancy test just to check (as I'm aware OPKs can pick up pg). It was positive. shock We haven't dtd yet this cycle so if pg, it's definitely from last cycle before my 'period'.

Spotting seems to have stopped but I've been cramping on and off today so I highly doubt it's a viable pregnancy. I also did a digi with conception indicator (unreliable, I know, but can't help myself) and it was only 1-2 when it probably should have been 3+. I just hope it's not ectopic. I called the EPU earlier today and someone will call me back tomorrow. I took soy this 'cycle' too (on what I thought was day 4-8) but now worried about the effect of this given I was pg!

Not sure what I want out of this post, really... I just want to get it all out. We've been TTC for 18 months and have had 1 mc and 1 tfmr in the meantime so feeling a bit jaded and sick of it all sad. Thanks for listening (well, reading).

cooperG Fri 29-May-15 07:29:53

Hi, didn't want to read and run, hope the EPU have some answers for you. Sounds very odd though, but I suppose stranger things have happened! Fingers crossed for you.

ArghWhatOnEarthsGoingOn Fri 29-May-15 13:27:16

EPU called; they weren't particularly helpful! She said she thought it was a false positive. That makes me worry I have one of those cancers that cause positive hpts! (unlikely I'm sure).

Not sure what to do now, really. I have a consultant 's appt on Tues (follow-up from tfmr) so may just wait and speak to him.

leccybill Fri 29-May-15 13:34:38

Have you had any pg symptoms?

ArghWhatOnEarthsGoingOn Fri 29-May-15 13:48:39

Not really but I don't usually until about 6-7 weeks.

BeedlesPineNeedles Fri 29-May-15 13:51:52

I thought false positives were really rare - whereas bleeding in early pregnancy is much more common. Therefore I think you are actually pregnant.

There have been a couple of similar situations on the ttc thread I'm on (ages ago I've been ttc for flipping ages!) they both went on to have healthy babies :-)

SaulGood Fri 29-May-15 13:57:17

False positives are very rare. I don't think a scan at this stage will be helpful either (unless you start to experience symptoms of ectopic in which case you should be seen asap).

The only thing that might give you a clearer idea right now is a HCG level which your GP should be able to do for you. Can you get an appointment for this afternoon? You should then have a repeat HCG done on Monday to get an idea of whether this is a viable pregnancy. This would allow them to schedule a scan at an appropriate point too.

dizzylemon Fri 29-May-15 13:57:37

Take another test to make sure? And if it's positive, make an urgent appointment? Don't let them fob you off.

eggsnbeans Fri 29-May-15 16:59:03

Omg I was just coming on to write this post too! Totally normal period on 13/5, super tampons and all, lasted 5days. Started tempimg on CD 12 and bbt was higher than normal, don't usually ovulate until cd21 as I have long cycles. Temps stayed high and did an opk on d 14 (first month using) and got immediate strong positive. Did a hpt and got 2 lines! No symptoms at all. Still not sure if I am pregnant or have had a mc! Very confused!

ArghWhatOnEarthsGoingOn Sat 30-May-15 11:52:45

Thanks, everyone. I had thought false positives were extremely unlikely too...a line is a line etc, so was a bit hmm when she said it.

Eggsnbeans, it is confusing, isn't it? When I did the 1st pg test and saw that it was +, I just stared at it thinking wtf?! Even now, I still can't work out what's happened.

Was yours a strong positive? I did a frer yesterday and it was still positive but quite weak, so I think I've most likely had a v early mc. Will test again in a few days, if positive still I'll go to GP. What are you going to do now? Fingers crossed it works out well for you.

eggsnbeans Sun 31-May-15 06:16:26

Yes strong positive, gonna test againt tomorrow though before I phone pg to get bloods done. I suspect what has hapiened to me is that I had an incomplete mc following late implantation, so part of the sac is still producing hcg, but not viable.

How long ago was your AF? I'm cd19 I think so hopefully not too much longer if mc is imminent!

Hope you get an answer soon too!

eggsnbeans Mon 01-Jun-15 05:35:47

Just tested and still positive but much weaker. So kinda relieved now as at least I know what's happening! Will retest in a week and go to Dr if still positive then. Just want my hcg to get back to zero so my stupid body will ovulate again angry

ArghWhatOnEarthsGoingOn Mon 01-Jun-15 16:53:11

I know the feeling... I was gearing up to try again this month but am now in limbo. Mine's still 1-2 on digi (well, was yesterday, will test again this evening. I've spent a small fortune on bloody tests so I can work out what's going on!). I've had some quite pregnancy-like discharge today which is a bit confusing too but I suppose that's just because there's still hcg in my system. I'm seeing the consultant tomorrow and will mention it to him, so I'll update you on what he says (in case it's of any use).

SaulGood Tue 02-Jun-15 21:58:24

How are you both doing?

ArghWhatOnEarthsGoingOn Fri 05-Jun-15 22:58:08

Hi Saul, thanks for asking. Sorry for taking so long to update. I saw the consultant and he thought it was an early miscarriage. Sure enough, I started bleeding again for a couple of days, did a pregnancy test today and it was not pregnant.

So now at least I know now and can look ahead to ovulating again.

Eggs? How are you going?

SaulGood Fri 05-Jun-15 23:18:54

I'm sorry it's not better news for you. I really do wish you the best of luck.

Do not apologise in the slightest for not updating. I was only concerned, promise. You've had a really rough ride recently. I wish you didn't have to go through it.

All the best.

eggsnbeans Sat 06-Jun-15 00:34:01

Hi, sorry it's not better news for you Argh sad my extensive MN search hasn't led me to any good stories so I have low expectations. Going to retest on Sun and go to gp on Mon if still positive. No bleeding here, quite worried about ectopic still so hoping for a bfn on sun really. My bbt is still high and still have pg cm though so don't really know what's happening! Will update though as it's really bugged me not finding out the outcome from. Other similar stories on MN!

ArghWhatOnEarthsGoingOn Sat 06-Jun-15 08:34:52

Thanks. I feel strangely sanguine about it all this time around. We'll get there eventually I'm sure. Most annoying is that I'm now in an unexpected WTF cycle, so have no idea of when I'll next ovulate!

You may be in with a chance, eggs. I hope thing become clearer for you soon, one way or another.

mrsmilkymoo Sat 06-Jun-15 09:16:57

Eggs, I had something similar happen. It's not a very positive story - sorry. I had a period, which was odd as I continued to spot after it. We'd been TTC and when I googled it suggested pregnancy was an option. I took a test, got a positive, went to the GP who said the bleeding was probably one of those things, and to assume it was a normal pregnancy. Ten days or so later, started getting some crampy pain, kind of like ovulation pain but worse, and started to bleed again. Phoned NHS 24, who told me to go to A&E as it could be ectopic. Once I got there I started to bleed more heavily. Long story short, HCG levels were dropping so it ended up being a miscarriage - although my personal view is that it was possibly an ectopic that dissolved itself. Either that or had been an incomplete miscarriage in the first place.

However, on the positive side, it resolved with no intervention and then 6 weeks or so later I was pregnant again, and this one stuck. DD is now 10 months old. Apparently a miscarriage can make you more fertile in subsequent cycles and there's no real need to wait before trying again.

Don't want to scare you but just wanted to be realistic as I know what the endless googling feels like! It wasn't great at the time but really could have been a lot worse so in some ways I was lucky.

Argh sorry to hear your experience and hope you soon have success!

ArghWhatOnEarthsGoingOn Wed 10-Jun-15 16:17:56

Eggs, how are things going with you?

WhiteWolf Wed 10-Jun-15 20:48:07

That same story happened to me just now!! I had a mc then we kept ttc and next cycle I got what I thought was my period but very very heavy (like never before). Few days later tested ovulation and was strong positive which was odd as very close to period. For that I did a pg test and was positive. HCG levels were ok monday. Unfortunately I started bleeding today with cramps that are getting stronger and I thing I know what's coming. sad I'm very sad and in pain.

Eggs I really hope you have better luck!

mrsmilkymoo Wed 10-Jun-15 21:37:47

So sorry to hear that whitewolf. Take care of yourself.

ArghWhatOnEarthsGoingOn Fri 12-Jun-15 23:33:46

Sorry you're in the same boat, WhiteWolf sad

eggsnbeans Mon 15-Jun-15 09:51:11

*Update *
So went to gp last week, which was frustrating as he thought it was normal to get a bfp 2w after a period! I'd been having some pain and a little bleeding though so referred me for a scan to rule out ectopic pregnancy and showed one normal baby in the right place gringringrin
Measuring almost a week behind so must have been slow to implant, then not had enough hcg in my system to stop progesterone dropping and period happening, but still somehow managed to hang on!
Still very nervous about 12w scan as so much says late implantation increases miscarriage risk and chance of baby not developing properly, but just trying to repeat 'today I am pregnant' and enjoy that!
Thanks for all your good wishes and for sharing your stories with me ladies smile

ArghWhatOnEarthsGoingOn Mon 15-Jun-15 17:49:12

Congratulations!! grin I had a feeling you would have a different outcome. Wishing you a very healthy and happy pregnancy flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now