Talk

Advanced search

First month off pill....

(347 Posts)
HannahFlo Thu 21-May-15 22:45:44

Hi ladies,

Just joined up & wanted to say hi & to see if anyone else in a similar boat to me?

I'm 29 and this is my first cycle off the pill. Currently on day 29th & so far not much is happening. I've been tracking my temp, so far no rise for ovulation. I have been treated for PCOS a few years ago but can't ever remember a normal cycle. I managed to get pregnant but sadly ended in miscarriage at 8 weeks. Went back on the pill not long after. Feeling nervous that my cycles could still be linked to PCOS or is this just down to the pill?

What have other peoples cycles been like when stopped the pill?

Xxx

SockQueen Thu 21-May-15 22:58:33

It's still very very early days for you. It can take up to 6 months to "settle down" properly, and if you've had PCOS previously then it can still be there.

I'm not a good example, because I'm now 10 months post-pill and still completely irregular, but I think I'm the exception rather than the rule!

bourbondreams Fri 22-May-15 12:50:10

I'm 30. my first cycle post pill was 77 days and then my second has been 30 days. I'm now in my 3rd post pill cycle, but not sure how long that will be, and we are now ttc so who knows, but I going to work on a 30 day cycle for now I think and keep tracking everything,

Like sockqueen said it can take a a few months for things to settle back down.

themumfairy Fri 22-May-15 15:43:41

I came off the pill in November and my last two cycles have been normal for me. so it took a while. but everyone is different. I'm using the ovia app and it's great for logging symptoms and helping to predict ovulation and Af. we are ttc #3 and so far no joy, I've felt like giving up most the time. Xx

chillthefXXkout Fri 22-May-15 16:14:29

I came off the pill in March and had a period after 41 days. But no symptoms of anything at all at any point running up to it or since...temps all over the place, no cervical fluid, no sore boobs, no twinges...nothing. I think just keep calm and carry on and things will become clear over time! Good luck!

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 22-May-15 16:20:57

PCOS does not go away of its own accord.

There is no evidence to suggest that the pill is responsible for failure to ovulate and also the pill leaves your system very quickly after taking the last tablet. What usually happens is that taking the pill simply masks the symptoms of PCOS. Your cycles will likely revert back to its irregularity once more.

I would not continue with temp charting at all even though you feel like you are doing something because you could well end up with a chart that is impossible to interpret with any degree of accuracy. There can also be a rise in temp in the second half of the cycle when an egg has not been shed so charting is not infallible.

I would seek medical advice sooner rather than later as you already have a PCOS diagnosis. Its not a condition for GPs to mess around with.

www.verity-pcos.org.uk may be a useful website for you to read. I would read up on PCOS if you have not already done so.

HannahFlo Sun 24-May-15 22:04:32

Thanks all. I had my cysts removed as few years ago but I think the doc said they could grow back?? It's sooooo frustrating?!!!

The only symptom I had was sore boobs....like really sore! It's not a symptom I ever get? What does that mean? XX

RattyCatty Mon 25-May-15 20:25:18

Hi Hannah,
I came off microgynon back in December. I had crazy pregnancy like symptoms when I came off! Dizzy, sore boobs, just felt exhausted! Think it was just my body waking up but still took 76 days to get a very light period! 36 days later I got a normal period but now on cd44 & nothing so no idea what's going on or if I even ovulated - despite a +opk on cd32!
Good luck - you may be lucky! smile

Tho123 Mon 25-May-15 21:16:38

Hi ladies,

I'm due to come off pill within 6 months and I'm dreading hair loss (I've heard it can happen post partum style) - anyone notice that?

Thanks

HannahFlo Mon 25-May-15 21:41:09

Hey!

No, never heard of hair loss being a symptom? Anyone else?

So I've had some spotting & stomach cramps which I'm hoping is a good sign that AF is on her way. Cd32 today.....confused

ktkaye Tue 26-May-15 22:33:48

Hello! Can I join? Had my implant removed 6 weeks ago and still no AF. Frustrating!!! Just want to go back to 'normal'. My best friend took 3 months to get her AF back after coming off the pill. Still early days but it feels like forever! X

HannahFlo Wed 27-May-15 08:38:07

Of course, more the merrier! Have you had any symptom?

Anyone been tracking their temperature? I have & it's pretty much a straight line, although the first few weeks I was using a old temperature thing so might not be accurate. But from what I can tell no ovulation.

But exciting news today is that I'm spotting & could be sign if AF coming. I'm on cd 35 today...fingers crossed!!

How's everyone else getting on? Xx

ktkaye Wed 27-May-15 08:57:09

Morning! Of COURSE I have symptoms and I'm obsessed with every one of them confused but trying not to be. Trying to be relaxed. Failing miserably. I stupidly assumed having spent 12 years panicking about getting pregnant that as soon as I stopped my contraceptives I'd go back to periods straight away. Been a bit of an adjustment not to realise. Would love some spotting! So far I've had awful spots and a few cramps but not a lot else. Itchy sore nipples the first week I came off blush but nada since then. Hmmmm.

ktkaye Wed 27-May-15 08:57:45

Oops sorry for all the typos!

HannahFlo Wed 27-May-15 11:05:27

So so happy!! AF has come today!! My first cd was 34 days on total which is amazing!!!

ktkaye Wed 27-May-15 15:49:10

Woohoo! Funny how we all used to dread AF and now she's something to be celebrated! Embrace the tampax!!

s098 Wed 27-May-15 17:41:40

Hi just thought I'd comment as I was in a similar situation and starting to worry.I came off the pill in march after a period as we agreed to see what happened ( I thought it would take ages as I've always had irregular periods . I hadn't had another period since march but have found out I am about 3 weeks pregnant, so it can happen without your periods being properly regular yet! I was taking 'seven seas trying for a baby' vitamins after reading good reviews, not sure if its coincidence or they actually helped!
Hope this helps a little x

HannahFlo Wed 27-May-15 17:53:10

That gives me faith & confidence for sure!! Thank you!!

Hope it's not a flux & I will have around a 34 day cycle. Next month I can focus on ovulation & go from there! ������

Belle888 Wed 27-May-15 20:53:09

Hi, hope it's ok for me to join? I have just finished taking microgynon which I have been on for the last 8 years. We were going to wait until my last packet which would of been July as we have a few holidays booked but we decided for me to stop this month as it seems it will take a while for me to get back into my normal cycle. I can hardly remember what my cycle was like all those years ago but think it was pretty regular. Does anybody have any previous experience what I should expect? I know it seems to vary from person to person but should I realistically expect AF next month? Thanks x

ktkaye Wed 27-May-15 21:05:28

Hi Belle! I think it really does vary. I'm still waiting for AF 6 weeks later, my two best friends one had AF after 3 months, another one month and then fell of! Sorry that's not v helpful. But on the plus side you are on your way! X

ktkaye Wed 27-May-15 21:08:07

*pregnant

Belle888 Wed 27-May-15 21:30:42

Thanks kt any things helpful when you don't know where to start! Who knew falling pregnant was such a minefield?! I think the plan at the moment is to wait until first AF then start properly trying from then on. But I guess there is nothing to stop it happening before your first AF? Can you tell when you ovulate if you haven't has a natural AF? X

Tamara160 Wed 27-May-15 22:19:43

Hi!
I've just come off microgynon 30 after being on it for 8 years. So far everything seems to be going ok. I ovulated 7 days after my last period (sorry, still trying to learn the lingo!) and had a few days of feeling like I was about to come on. I didn't think much of it though because it's too early for my period yet.
I don't know about a rise in temperature as I had a stinking cold and had a horrible temperature with that.
So glad there is a thread about this! x

ktkaye Wed 27-May-15 23:26:52

Belle you and I are in a v similar boat! I was wondering the same thing about ovulation and went trough a phase of using the opk sticks but got really disheartened when they kept coming up negative. But Tamara seems to have got lucky and i
Ovd straight away (yay!) so just goes to show how it is different for everyone. Give the opk sticks a go if you are curious but beware how addictive/ upsetting then can also be!

Belle888 Thu 28-May-15 07:57:20

Hi tamara, thanks for your reply. are you tracking your ovulation or just seeing what happens?

Like kt says I might try and steer clear of all the ovulation sticks (at least for the time being) as it seems it can become a bit of an obsession too easily! I have stopped taking my pill a few months before we really wanted to start trying so hopefully my cycle will be settled by then and I can roughly pick the days/weeks it's most likely to happen. But I'm sure after a few months of nothing happening il be down the chemist!! Kt also I think I read they only work properly if start to do them a certain time in your cycle which you wouldn't know I guess until you have has a natural period? So confusing! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now